The New Year began chasing sporting endeavours on two very different fronts. One evening last November I went nuts online with a moment of over-ambitious madness and entered both Spring and Autumn Waterloo bowling competitions, followed by entering the National Cross Country Championships despite not having run properly for months. Few folk will be emulating the distinct participation in both of these contrasting contests I suspect. The two competitions at least share the similarities of top billing and being steeped in a rich history.
The Waterloo green in Blackpool is - was - the mecca for Crown Green bowling and home to the game's biggest competitions. Sadly no longer as 114 years of history recently came to an end. The famous bowling stadium at the back of the Waterloo Hotel has lost it's way during the pandemic. Although Waterloo's future was already hanging in the balance for some time, funding and ownership uncertainties seem to be the catalyst of troubles that led to the eventual demise as a venue for bowls.
Fortunately though, passionate volunteers have kept the nature and the name of the Waterloo competitions alive a little further North up the Lancashire coast in Fleetwood. Coming in to the game when I have, whilst just missing the opportunity to play on the historic Waterloo, my entry this year will nevertheless be a very small part of a new history beginning at Fleetwood's Euston Green.
Parliament Hill fields on Hampstead Heath is the mecca for English cross country running. As a venue for the nationals, it only comes around every three years or so and reaches out to my running soul even though I won't be properly race fit and don't even like cross country that much! Such is it's appeal when this race is staged in the capital.
Training for the cross country has been disrupted with minor niggles, mainly a bit of knee trouble and a recurring problem in my lower back. The joys of pushing towards one's half century I suppose. But with just less than three weeks to go until race day, I feel I should be in good enough fettle to get around the course and soak up the occasion. I've built up some decent fitness on the bike. But even when far fitter and a little bit younger, my previous efforts at Parliament Hill couldn't even make the top 800. One thing I love about this big cross country race though, in which 2328 club athletes ran the men's senior race alone on my last appearance at London in 2018, is that wherever you are in the field there is a race going on. It's brilliantly competitive. No pockets of soltitude to get complacent in and certainly nobody doing star jumps for the cameras. It's raw club running purism, from the newly crowned champion at the front, to the defiant veterans gritting their teeth at the back.
A recent transfer back to my former club Blackburn Harriers will hopefully keep me in an environment where my fitness can start to excel again as the year goes on. Just now though, training has no structure really and I'm winging it for the Nationals.
A recent transfer back to my former club Blackburn Harriers will hopefully keep me in an environment where my fitness can start to excel again as the year goes on. Just now though, training has no structure really and I'm winging it for the Nationals.
Training for bowling seems to be going better than the running, thankfully. Practicing on your own is not an accurate barometer by which to rank improvement, but even the pessimist within has had to accept evidence for optimism. Proof will be in the pudding of pre-season practice matches in a few week's time.
All I can report just now is that my delivery feels more consistent and that the underlying understanding of what I am trying to achieve and how to get there is somehow clearer. Still much to do, but on the right path.
Since entering the Waterloo competitions, I have thrown my name in the hat of a few more singles tournaments during the summer. Whilst this might well turn out to be an exercise of gluttonous punishment, it's about absorbing the experiences and also keeping something extra to focus on when, inevitably during the league season, I go on holidays and lose my place (or hopes of regaining my place) in club teams.
Whilst playing in the leagues may well be the bread and butter for match practice and becoming a better player, it's the singles tournaments that have appealed to me from the very start. Even if I get an inaugural spanking in them this year, I know that it won't deter my enthusiasm for more.
In running, mental strength is important but I knew my humble limits, even if I was daft enough to try and push them too far at times. In bowling though, such physicality is not a barrier. Much of this game is in the head, a few players have told me as much. Experience and a natural feel for the game are essential, but a fierce drive and belief that one can keep on improving is what I believe can really help get as close as I can to achieving my lofty bowling aspirations.
Since entering the Waterloo competitions, I have thrown my name in the hat of a few more singles tournaments during the summer. Whilst this might well turn out to be an exercise of gluttonous punishment, it's about absorbing the experiences and also keeping something extra to focus on when, inevitably during the league season, I go on holidays and lose my place (or hopes of regaining my place) in club teams.
Whilst playing in the leagues may well be the bread and butter for match practice and becoming a better player, it's the singles tournaments that have appealed to me from the very start. Even if I get an inaugural spanking in them this year, I know that it won't deter my enthusiasm for more.
In running, mental strength is important but I knew my humble limits, even if I was daft enough to try and push them too far at times. In bowling though, such physicality is not a barrier. Much of this game is in the head, a few players have told me as much. Experience and a natural feel for the game are essential, but a fierce drive and belief that one can keep on improving is what I believe can really help get as close as I can to achieving my lofty bowling aspirations.
Fact: Absolutely no chance whatsoever of winning the Waterloo, but a million times more chance of winning the Waterloo than winning the National Cross Country Championships! 😆
No comments:
Post a Comment