ANGER MANAGEMENT
21/4/22Leyland & District League Div-4: Eagle Reds 168-179 Farington St Paul's
v DAVID TATTUM L 17-21
The new season started with a defeat and for one reason or another, perhaps the hardest to take yet. I was seething with myself and most particularly pissed off about my final two deliveries.
Random statements of self deprecation come easy to me, but as I stomped off the green, even I was suprised when I declared myself a "total bell end" to a large contingent of teammates leaning over our clubhouse railings. Nobody disputed it though!
My opponent David Tattum is a good bowler and I had no rights to beat him, nor to think I should. He had the upper hand on the from the off, but to throw away the match by repeating the exact same mistake had me raging inside and on the verge of throwing a very serious tantrum in the public domain.
Have I not learned anything in crown green? What's the point in carrying on? Let's just concentrate on running and sod these bloody stupid giant marbles for a game...
But then, when the red mist finally cleared (some time during the morning after) I put it down to just one of those nights. I didn't play well for long enough periods and I got caught out by an opponent who kept it together on our rather tricky, parched green that changed pace whilst we played as the sun dipped and temperature succumbed to a nippy Eastern breeze.
After a good start, David soon got back at me and forged ahead as I started over-thinking against the left handed Faringtonian. I've still not beaten a lefty.
It wasn't an all out poor performance, I did win some good ends, but not enough to be in the match I thought until suprised to hear the score was 16-18. I was actually still in it with all to play for.
My opponent David Tattum is a good bowler and I had no rights to beat him, nor to think I should. He had the upper hand on the from the off, but to throw away the match by repeating the exact same mistake had me raging inside and on the verge of throwing a very serious tantrum in the public domain.
Have I not learned anything in crown green? What's the point in carrying on? Let's just concentrate on running and sod these bloody stupid giant marbles for a game...
But then, when the red mist finally cleared (some time during the morning after) I put it down to just one of those nights. I didn't play well for long enough periods and I got caught out by an opponent who kept it together on our rather tricky, parched green that changed pace whilst we played as the sun dipped and temperature succumbed to a nippy Eastern breeze.
After a good start, David soon got back at me and forged ahead as I started over-thinking against the left handed Faringtonian. I've still not beaten a lefty.
It wasn't an all out poor performance, I did win some good ends, but not enough to be in the match I thought until suprised to hear the score was 16-18. I was actually still in it with all to play for.
I won the next end, but was livid with myself to send my second bowl short when a two should have been mopped up without too much complication. It's silly really, for I should have been happy with the one, cleared my head and concentrated on the next end. Instead I was still shaking my head and whittering to myself when I lost that next end.
Then came my double dose of short and narrow on a mark I know perfectly well enough to have done better on and that's it, it's handshake time.
Trying to muster a positive, I'd say a player like David would have beaten me quicker and easier last season, but at least I scrapped and did enough to make a game of it. Those extra points count in the team game, but we were just short in the end against a good St Paul's line up.
Practice matches:
Then came my double dose of short and narrow on a mark I know perfectly well enough to have done better on and that's it, it's handshake time.
Trying to muster a positive, I'd say a player like David would have beaten me quicker and easier last season, but at least I scrapped and did enough to make a game of it. Those extra points count in the team game, but we were just short in the end against a good St Paul's line up.
Practice matches:
19-21 and 3-15 v Aaron Hayhurst. In the heated aftermath of that Thursday night loss I briefly considered cancelling the following evening's roll with the hot shot next door. I mean what's the point? What's in it for him? I'm shite. It will be an embarrassment...
Glad I didn't though, in an excellent game I played as well as I ever have and came closest yet to temporarily tipping the balance versus Aaron. At 19-18 I was holding two good ones when he stole in with an incredible bowl and then finished me off with a perfect lead next end.
Still on a high from having made such a very good account of myself, just time for a quick 15-up straight after - and it was quick - 3-15! I didn't do too much outrageously wrong really, but he was ruthless. A reminder of who is boss!
I very much appreciate young Aaron taking the time out to teach me a lesson every now and again. The lad has got bigger bowling fish to fry than putting up with me for an hour or so. He may not know this, but I feel on each occasion I get to share the green with him, it's a privilege.
21-8 and 15-7 v Lee Dalton (At Penwortham Sports) Last summer Lee upped his game and I couldn't get near him the last half dozen or so matches we played. On the back of some good bowls the night before against Aaron though, I played quite well and seemed to understand and enjoy the green at Penwortham much more than my last visit there. In fact I would feel much more confident on that excellent surface there than my home turf just now.
21-8 and 15-7 v Lee Dalton (At Penwortham Sports) Last summer Lee upped his game and I couldn't get near him the last half dozen or so matches we played. On the back of some good bowls the night before against Aaron though, I played quite well and seemed to understand and enjoy the green at Penwortham much more than my last visit there. In fact I would feel much more confident on that excellent surface there than my home turf just now.
No comments:
Post a Comment