Blog Archive

01/07/2022

HALF TERM REPORT

It's turns out to be two Wednesdays off in the Eagle Members League now and a free week in the Leyland league, so no game for a full seven days until the return visit to Anderton St Joe's.
The timing turns out to be perfectly mid-season and to be honest, a little break won't do me any harm. I've already played just one competitive game less than the whole of last year.
I think my game is stronger and my understanding of the game growing all the time. I love it. My enthusiasm for the game and drive to become a better player is definitely passionate. There are still issues with temperament, concentration and also my delivery which, despite much practice, is still not mechanically consistent by any means.
I've managed to surprise myself by holding down a place in the Monday team so far which I really didn't expect. The Eagle Members League has been a great platform for me to take on some of our club's best players and I've pleasantly surprised myself in that competition too.
Still much to learn and at away games in particular - a different mentality to try and nurture on my travels, especially against better players.
I think I can still improve, even in the second half of this season, but as that man Steve Wilson also mentioned the other week, I've still got my L-plates on. I'd like to be considered for my provisional license by the end of the season, but I've got stuff to tighten up on and to master playing much more consistently first.
 

I CAN'T GET NO SLEEP 
I've asked team mates if they struggle sleeping after matches and I get some funny looks. It must just be me then. Playing matches in the evening, I struggle to wind down in time for bed. Bowls are whizzing around in my head, going over shots again and again. Win or lose, play well or badly, it's hard work nodding off.
Early mornings progressively catch up on me. Out with the dogs very early doors, busy days at work, a few runs, three bowls matches in a week... no bother was it not for crown green insomnia. By Friday night it's become normal to be abnormally absolutely goosed and fit for nowt. 


RUNNING READY FOR AUTUMN
Running has undoubtedly taken a back seat to bowling this Spring and Summer, but I'm ticking over and feeling good when I get out. I've certainly shed a bit of timber since I raced in London at the end of February and can tell I'm in better shape.
Only in an ideal world of winning the lottery would I have enough time to compete with running and crown green at the same time. But when the nights get shorter and the main bowls season closes, the running will take precedence and I intend to get my arse down to Blackburn Harriers track sessions and do some ugly stuff.
Hurtling towards the age of 49, I'm not sure what personal achievements I can gain on a competitive level. It's more about the mindfulness I get from tough exercise and natural landscape, just being able to retain the normality and routine of getting out on the fells again and being able to run hard for an hour or two. Then, body parts pending, maybe racing again.
I've been here before on the threshold of some sort of comeback, but I don't think I'll ever give up really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment