BIG NIGHT OUT UP THE ROAD
When I entered the Farington Singles competition many months ago, I didn't realise at the time that it was to be a little higher profile than I expected. The main reason for entering was because it's local at Farington Cons.The fourth and final night of qualifiers is a pretty strong field, including the game's top player, Callum Wraight. He's travelled from Shropshire for this one intending to take the bounty. In contrast of much starkness, I'm cycling less than a mile up the road just to mop up some experience.
What if I get Callum in the draw? Of course I've thought about it, for that is actually a ridiculous possibility in a pool of just sixteen.
There'll be some local bowling folk watching, wondering what the hell and why the hell I'm even there this evening. But nothing is gained by staying in your comfort zone.
If I don't make progress at tournament bowls over the next few years and don't get a buzz out of taking part then sure enough I might well feel the need to concede such participation as a waste of time and money.
For now though, it's still early days and whilst I'm still not sure how much better I can get, chucking myself in at the deep end and learning from the experience feels the natural thing to do. With a few tastes of tournaments already under my belt this year, I've enjoyed it, even when I've had my arse kicked.
Essentially though, I'm just looking forward to playing, hopefully making a decent account of myself and then watching some quality bowling in the following round after a visit to the bar for a cold pint of San Miguel.
For now though, it's still early days and whilst I'm still not sure how much better I can get, chucking myself in at the deep end and learning from the experience feels the natural thing to do. With a few tastes of tournaments already under my belt this year, I've enjoyed it, even when I've had my arse kicked.
Essentially though, I'm just looking forward to playing, hopefully making a decent account of myself and then watching some quality bowling in the following round after a visit to the bar for a cold pint of San Miguel.
No comments:
Post a Comment