PEACOCK RUFFLES MY FEATHERS
18/8/22Leyland & District League Div-4: Farington St Paul's 195-153 Eagle Reds
v TONY PEACOCK L 4-21
Evidence hereby given that this game can bite you on the balls when least expected.
The feathers of good form proudly on display of late were not so much ruffled, but unceremoniously plucked by Tony Peacock, whose performance matched the majesty of his namesake bird's elegant plumage.
I missed practice due to the early start here. Although some pre-match rolling might have bought me a few more points, I don't think it would have spared me from defeat against this home bowler who was on it from the off.
Tony beat my well adjusted likely winner on the first end and continued to wrap his bowls around the jack from there on, leading me to wonder why his name has slipped the net of my local bowling knowledge so far.
The first half dozen ends or so, I wasn't far off the mark at all, limiting him to single scores and imagined an opportunity would come eventually. It got to about 0-8 before I managed a chalk on the board. Still quite relaxed and unruffled at this point, when I did finally get the jack back and didn't produce the goods - meekly conceding two - the red mist of old finally shrowded itself upon me and any remote chance of a comeback was doomed.
Tony played extremely well though and didn't relent in getting very close to the target and even when he did get a touch slacker by his own standards as he edged towards a very convincing win, I just wasn't getting in there and the odd time I did, just couldn't send anything decent enough to have a run with the jack.
The only glimmer of light on this evening of a record defeat for me was some more successful striking. If I get in a serious pickle like this again then I might as well strike even more, if only for the practice. Tony said he couldn't strike for toffee, but he could certainly bowl and killed me on more or less the same mark on this patchy Farington St Paul's green.
Some away greens you like, some you don't and with respect to the lovely bowling folk down there and a nice set up, after two visits I'd rather forget, there's no urge to be back there again in a hurry.
There was an urge of a different nature though - an urge to ram my head through the fence or chuck a bowl through their clubhouse window - but fortunately this was controlled. I do need to be wary of such demons raising their ugly head again though.
I missed practice due to the early start here. Although some pre-match rolling might have bought me a few more points, I don't think it would have spared me from defeat against this home bowler who was on it from the off.
Tony beat my well adjusted likely winner on the first end and continued to wrap his bowls around the jack from there on, leading me to wonder why his name has slipped the net of my local bowling knowledge so far.
The first half dozen ends or so, I wasn't far off the mark at all, limiting him to single scores and imagined an opportunity would come eventually. It got to about 0-8 before I managed a chalk on the board. Still quite relaxed and unruffled at this point, when I did finally get the jack back and didn't produce the goods - meekly conceding two - the red mist of old finally shrowded itself upon me and any remote chance of a comeback was doomed.
Tony played extremely well though and didn't relent in getting very close to the target and even when he did get a touch slacker by his own standards as he edged towards a very convincing win, I just wasn't getting in there and the odd time I did, just couldn't send anything decent enough to have a run with the jack.
The only glimmer of light on this evening of a record defeat for me was some more successful striking. If I get in a serious pickle like this again then I might as well strike even more, if only for the practice. Tony said he couldn't strike for toffee, but he could certainly bowl and killed me on more or less the same mark on this patchy Farington St Paul's green.
Some away greens you like, some you don't and with respect to the lovely bowling folk down there and a nice set up, after two visits I'd rather forget, there's no urge to be back there again in a hurry.
There was an urge of a different nature though - an urge to ram my head through the fence or chuck a bowl through their clubhouse window - but fortunately this was controlled. I do need to be wary of such demons raising their ugly head again though.
It's bowls, I got tonked and it can happen. One shite result doesn't make me a poorer player overnight.
Although patting myself on the back for remaining composed for as long as I did, keeping calm throughout the whole game is the only hope of a comeback. This caught me by surprise tonight though. Perhaps I got a bit caught up in my little winning bubble and it needed bursting to descend my feet back firmly on to the ground.
Unsuprisingly with some players on their books that could be Thursday nighting at a higher level, Tony included, our Eagle Reds went down to defeat in our last game of the season. But the concensus was we are a good bunch who have a crack regardless of results and as is the end of season ritual, have a whip round for our brilliant, extremely knowledgeable non-playing captain (although at one time a very good player) Harry Glynn. It's a pleasure to be doing part of my apprenticeship under his wing.
Unsuprisingly with some players on their books that could be Thursday nighting at a higher level, Tony included, our Eagle Reds went down to defeat in our last game of the season. But the concensus was we are a good bunch who have a crack regardless of results and as is the end of season ritual, have a whip round for our brilliant, extremely knowledgeable non-playing captain (although at one time a very good player) Harry Glynn. It's a pleasure to be doing part of my apprenticeship under his wing.
No comments:
Post a Comment