Blog Archive

28/03/2023

NEW SEASON ON THE HORIZON

Disappointment as the Longridge Floodlit Singles contest was cancelled due to the very wet weather leaving an unplayable surface for the first night's qualifiers. Whilst out running on the Moors that afternoon in probably the best of a bad day (squally heavy showers) never did I consider the day's deluge would have such consequences in the more fairweather world of crown green. 
Running has finally started to progress back on to the hills recently. This particular run was on the back of an unusually heavy mileage week by modest standards these days. 35 miles were rounded off with a run to Chorley and back with woods in my backpack and an hour of bowling practice being the sandwich of an unusual run-bowl-run duathlon, then returning to the Astley Park green on Monday morning to keep my eye in for that competition that was sadly postponed.
Being able to get back running off-road with John Horrocks is on the one hand a blessing, but John is sixteen years my junior and currently knocking out very similar times and performances that I was once accustomed to, so there are also some feelings of a cruel nature at times, such as chasing one's former self. I thought this as John tottered easily up a boggy steep climb with wind and rain belting in our faces, whilst I was clinging on twenty yards behind giving it everything I had!
Back to the bowling though, and after a further fortnight of poor conditions, practice could get proper again as our Eagle & Child green reopened for business.
Although eagerly down there twice in the first weekend, I've not had a lot of time on my own just rolling which is what I need. Instead I've suppressed my anti-social side to engage in practice matches which haven't gone well. Three defeats, practice or not, cries out the need to knuckle down, concentrate and get my house in order and especially as one of our league seasons start much earlier now. 
Fortunately I got the opportunity on the Monday afternoon to whizz some bowls around alone for an uninterrupted 75 minutes and restored some belief. It was quite possibly my most satisfying practice session yet. But getting in to a flow during practice needs to manifest itself in to matchplay and there lies the challenge ahead for the new season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment