STEELE NOT FOR BENDING
Thursday 6th April 2023Leyland & District League Div-3
Farington Cons 'A'183-154 Eagle & Child Reds
v JOHN STEELE L 16-21
Time will tell as the season progresses, but this may have turned out to be a tough opener to the league season.
I started the game well and went 9-6 up, feeling some confidence on this superb green, but fully aware I was in a game here against this chap.
Perhaps this was a key point in the match, for a couple more good ends from myself could have put me in a very good position. But instead, I sent a memorably poorly short couple of woods to concede a giveaway two and then John kept poking away with good shots to get back in to it. We were 13-13 with the home bowler just starting to sway the balance of power.
In to the nitty-gritty end of our game, and Mr Steele was clearly not for bending. After a brilliant dead-weight winner near the edge of the green that I was a whisker from knocking off, John showed more class with repeated ends wrapping both bowls around the Jack and damage was getting done on the scoreline. I had a bit of bad luck in not messing up his good work, although carry some hindsight annoyance with myself over a strike attempt that was a wrong choice and poorly executed. Same road with just a little extra weight could have sufficed to split his little nest around the jack. I allowed a bit of frustration had set in
When John's smothering of the block finally cracked, he gave me a decent opportunity to save the match.
With one bowl left, my scorer Banksy informs me of the obvious importance of said bowl just as I was lowering myself to deliver. I don't blame Banksy, he was just trying to help, it was my fault for allowing it to distract me and after resetting myself, sent an effort down the right channel but with a bit too much juice behind it. I'll never know what would have happened if I'd have released it first time, but it doesn't matter really. John played excellently in the latter third of the match and deserved the win.
It's now four losses from four visits to Farington Cons, but I was in the match on this occasion and felt much more at ease on there than the previous three games. I didn't particularly take joy from the result and initially was pretty pissed off, but certainly enjoyed the match and that's what matters.
Afterwards though, I realised I played round peg only when I had the jack, just like I have done in practice lately. I didn't really think much about it at the time, it's just a habit I suppose. Definitely a risky strategy away from home, although it wasn't consciously a strategy and so something to consider in my next game!
GREEN MACHINE CRUISES WITHOUT GETTING OUT OF GEAR
Before my match, I noticed Farington player David Green confidently getting the better of our Red Eagle, Barry, with repetitive long and straight marks to the corners, of sufficient accuracy against an opponent not quite reaching or quite finding that same road in. A familiar trait from this player who I've seen play a good few times now.
I did raise this controversial observation to my captain, Harry, and other Eagle players in the vicinity; that for all David's ability, this was something of a one dimensional display and that he's clearly in it for the overall Merit positions of this division already.
Not sure that sat well with those inside my earshot, so pondering an initial regret for voicing an opinion which may have been received as disrespectful from a comparative upstart such as myself, subsequently I remained convinced I had an interesting point.
David's a good, experienced player and too good I consider, to be plying this sort of bowling trade in the basement division of the Leyland & District League.
I've briefly spoken to David once or twice, nice enough chap it seems and important to go on record as nothing personal to the man when I mutter these notes. But for me, not really an example to look up to in this sport.
Harry explained that David plays to win, he likes to win and he doesn't like losing.
But then we all like to win, but doesn't he relish more of a challenge to win?
David is not on his own with this Merit seeking mentality. There are other players bowling below their station who enjoy regularly mopping up relatively easy wins with an air of inevitability at this level. There are one or two other players in that Farington Cons second string who I can't quite understand are not playing for places in the first team.
Of course, for the team, points difference matters and ultimately, crown green is a ruthless game in which an inkling of sympathy for your suffering opponent could turn the game in their favour.
But I like to think when I've reached a decent plateau in my game, I'll keep pushing and play at the highest level I can. If that means losing more than I win, sleep at night would nevertheless be so much better for me.
Rather than bang on further about this though, at some point this season I should try and remember to ask the Green machine himself and get a horse's mouth account.
No comments:
Post a Comment