Blog Archive

06/05/2023

GOOD START TO THE CHORLEY CAMPAIGN

Monday 1st May 2023
Chorley & District League Div-2: Eagle & Child 'A' - Hilltops 'B'

v JOHN DARWIN W 21-7

May Day and the first game for our newly promoted Monday night side proved to be a convincing win for both myself and the team.
Spritely eighty year old John took a while to get to grips on our green, by which time I'd got in to a considerable lead and was also playing well enough to know it wasn't going to slip.
John put some good woods up at times to halt the onslaught, and particularly when killing the end with a well weighted spoiler as I held two tidy bowls for the match.
Fortunately though I managed to sew things up on the next end and enjoy a much less closely contested match than Spring has so far offered me.


EAGLE & CHILD SPRING DOUBLES

Should Henry Hoyles be a crown green name of the future, he was mentioned here first. 
I was paired with the 12 year old who I am told was the youngest participant in our club's Spring Doubles history.
After a first match defeat, against the odds we won our remaining two group matches and scored heavily enough to reach the semi-finals. Unfortunately, we came unstuck against silky left-hander Chris Miller and an in-form Alan Robinson 8-13 in the last four.
Young Henry has a very nice delivery which will serve him well if he decides to keep an interest in the game and hopefully he will. Henry's Dad, Matt, only started playing not too long after I did and looks like a good player in the making. He made the final with Andy Sexton and ran out Spring Doubles champions.  Both Matt and Henry could be excellent acquisitions to the club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment