Blog Archive

16/08/2023

SUCK IT UP AND SEE

Monday 14th August 2023
Chorley & District League Div-2: Chorley Subs - Eagle & Child 'A'

v DAVE AINDOW L 5-21

Once again our Monday night promotion chasers were stretched in the staffing department. Last week's injury list remained and in addition, key player Trevor Bibby was already committed to picking his wife up from the airport.
As such, if only on the basis of availability, I was on the card again at a green I'd never played before at Croston Subs. Practice went well, not too many woods that I wasn't happy with and was getting a nice feel for the green. What could possibly go wrong?
Being drawn against Dave Aindow, it would seem.
I simply wasn't good enough against this chap. I didn't play badly, I put some good bowls up in fact, but not consistently enough and (obviously) not close enough. Dave was exceptional actually, absolutely bang on and opportunities to get going in the game were shut down by this nice and easy going fella that was a smiling assassin. 
Four of my five scores were excellent shots and had to be, otherwise even when I sent good ones Dave beat them every time. On the few times I had the lead bowl, nothing less than running up behind the jack would do. My good woods tended to sit to the side of the target and pretty as they looked, they would get mopped up. It was another evening of tough love in the local leagues of crown green bowling.
Three seasons in, it's this one that's turning in to one really harsh apprenticeship.
Dave was excellent throughout and as tough a game as I've had. There's a fair old way to go in dealing with matches like this and getting myself closer.
As I said when I came off, maybe it would have been a better idea if I'd picked Trevor's wife up from the airport!
On the night though, we still had four winners and only lost the match on chalks for four vital away points.
Fortunately our talisman Chris Miller soaked up my damaging deficit with a superb 21-4 win.
So yet another loss. Another heavy reverse on the scorecard. I've just got to suck it up and see if I can tidy my game up enough to stop the rot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment