Blog Archive

21/08/2023

WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE

Thursday 17th August 2023
Leyland & District League Div-3: Eagle Reds 164-172 Farington St Paul's

v DAVID BRIDGE W 21-12

Even if the manner of defeat is acceptable, a run of them still becomes a bit disheartening. This home fixture had to break the cycle and I was very determined, but quietly cautious going in to the game.
Having played and seen enough of St Paul's to be well aware Dave would be no pushover, my opponent might also know that I can get hot under the collar and so I set out with patience, trying to slow myself down and make sure he knew I suppressed any frustrating feelings for self destruction.
Our green was running quite a bit for the first time in a while and this suited me more than Dave by his own admission. That didn't stop him being a tough nut to crack mind you. There was little in it after the first ten ends, but then I started to find good bowls more consistently, including a few very good two's which can do damage quickly in a match.
As our scorers checked in with each other to calibrate their cards, I could hear I'd got myself ahead by six or seven and in a good position. Dave had a run with the jack again but I limited his endeavours to singles and then got back on the front foot, finishing with a toucher for the match.
Although I sent a bit of rubbish at times, I played quite a tight game and certainly sent a lot more good than bad. I won't pardon the punned headline - recent defeats now feel like water under the bridge.
Not so in the team front though, with four winners on the night, this Eagle Reds team was closer than expected on the night against a decent St Paul's side, but life at the bottom of the bottom remains with only two matches left. We now have to fair better than Wymott on level points with us to avoid the wooden spoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment