Blog Archive

25/09/2023

EYES ON THE PRIZE

Thursday 21st September 2023
TIM ROBINSON MEMBERS DOUBLES

Quarter Finals
Paired with BARRY WRIGHT 
v JACK DICKINSON & STEVE WILSON W 31-21 (off 6-0) 

Walking down Balcarres Road to the Eagle green, thoughts about the game ahead centred around the importance of getting a good start.
Thanks to the handicap system, Barry and I were aided with six on the card with our opponents starting from scratch. As such, crowning this advantage with a considerable lead would give us a very realistic chance against competition favourites Jack Dickinson and Steve Wilson.
Sure enough, we win the toss and Barry is on his game again. We win the first four or five ends, I get a few decent hits from the back and we take nine of the first eleven points to go 15-2 up. I sensed we could do it and that Barry thought so too. 
Our early dominance had to give at some point, the game and the points distribution began to even out for a while. When Jack or Steve threatened to get a run together though, we seemed to produce a winner. I particularly enjoyed knocking Jack's brilliant second bowl out near the edge of the green to turn a possible three to them in to one to us. There was a feeling it wasn't going to be their night.
Steve swapped around with Jack to lead though and this threatened to change the direction of the game for a period as our opponents crept back in to the match.
Longer marks pegged across the top of the crown - we just weren't getting near enough to them and Barry, by his own admission is struggling to reach and with damage to our lead becoming a concern, he prompts us to swap too. A few ends later, with less traffic of everybody else's bowls in the way, I land one to finally break our opponent's revival. Ironically, Barry does reach this time and cosies one up even closer than mine for a second counter with the last bowl. An absolute wonder shot from Mr Wright.
With Barry back in charge of the block, we had a good run again and importantly got it back straight away, rather than allow Steve to dictate.
Although personally annoyed with myself at missing a couple of opportunities to nail the game when on the brink, we got there in the end and had replenished a healthy lead.
Jack and Steve weren't at their best, but doubles is a different beast. I'm still learning all the time and can easily misjudge a situation and not always make the right shot choice. But a few good knocks here and there, coupled with another good game from Barry and a better one from me swung things in our favour and once we believed we could win, having struck out with that early lead, our opponents were under the cosh. 
Semi-finals next up and whoever we get, if we continue to play the way we have done, Wright & Sutton have every chance in this competition.
I was up for this from the start, but now I'm bloody well up for it! Whilst cool and collective Barry might play down his competitive nature, quietly, I think he's up for it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment