Blog Archive

04/09/2023

LEVELLING UP

Thursday 31st August 2023
Leyland & District League Div-3: Eagle Reds 140-181 Farington Cons 'B'

v DAVE ARNOLD W 21-9

To coin some nonsense phraseology of a tired and delusional UK government, "levelling up" was what tonight's game was all about.
Michael Gove might have difficulty even convincing himself exactly what the hell he's doing to justify his absolute bollocks of a pop-up ministerial position, but my kind of levelling up intentions were crystal clear in our final Leyland league match.
A win would make it nine wins and nine losses to balance the books of a tough old season
Our captain Harry has taken the spotlight off me the last few weeks, putting me in the first four when I'm still fresh and I've put a couple of wins together to give me a chance of levelling up.
Sometimes when I practice on my own, I can't send a wrong bowl. I've always wondered why this never happens in a game but tonight was the night, for a while anyway!
Double figures were made without reply and I just couldn't seem to miss. My leads were spot on and this was the sort of intensity that I'm aiming for and particularly on home soil.
When I did finally roll a couple of short ones in front of our clubhouse, Harry was there to see them of course! Dave got in at last with two good woods, which seemed to settle him down having admitted he was dreading being beaten to nil. There wasn't much chance of that against me.
My game just wandered a bit from this point and I'm not sure why, but there were a sufficient amount of good woods left in me to see the game out comfortably.
Dave came back well and took the opportunity to show he's a steady bowler and also a gentleman, commending my early onslaught.
It was a good end to the season, finishing with three consecutive wins in this league  and "levelling up" well and truly accounted for.
There have been harsh lessons overall this term but I feel I am coming out of it for the better. Aside from a disappointing show at the Farington competition, I've not been bowling too badly in recent weeks. In addition, bar the odd isolated curse of frustration, I've managed to keep my head together which has definitely been part of the battle.
Against a good Farington Cons side that finished third, the team eeked out a decent result on the night with four winners and this was enough to escape the bottom spot despite having been wooden spoon favourites for some time.
I seem to give Steven Banks a mention on here from time to time, but Banksy scored a tremendous win against Peter Quinn. Victory for the well respected Farington bowler would have secured him the divisional Merit, but Banksy spoiled the party and reminded us all he's a player when his head's on it.
Many a grand gentleman in this Eagle Reds team (including Banksy, just about!) and no less a gentleman than Phil Donnelly, who had the usual whip-round to get a bit of summat for our non-playing captain Harry Glynn, as a thank you for enduring another season with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment