WET WIN FOR A FEEL GOOD FINISH
Monday 2nd October 2023LONGRIDGE AUTUMN FLOODLIT SINGLES
At Longridge Cons
First Round Qualifying
v MARK IRELAND W 21-16 (Off 3-3)
Some intrepidation about this final fling at knock-out singles this year, but I needn't have worried as I found myself playing well here and actually getting through a round for the first time this season.
I was briefly graced with the company of the one and only Alan Hodson Snr, joining me for practice which definitely helped keep a smile on my face and stay relaxed. Alan then scored my first match and gave me good encouragement as I took an early lead and kept hold of it with some good lead bowls and decisive spoilers against Mark.
The rain didn't stop all evening and perhaps a stiffer green was a bit of a leveller, but I found a decent length instantly in that first round match and grew in confidence. Mark did put some good ones up to keep himself in it, notably a very good two to draw nearer at 18-16, but I broke back straight away and saw the game out over the next two ends.
Moaning about playing after work as I have done, with jaded senses, I don't work Mondays and played much better. I wasn't exactly sat on my backside all day and had an eight mile run on the West Pennine moors under my belt in the afternoon as well, but I think it shows that as much as it is an excuse, it's also an unavoidable fact that I play better with a fresher mind and body. League matches on a Monday night have generally provided better performances and results than rushing to get there drained after a day's nonsense at work on a Thursday. That's how it is and I need to find a way to deal with it somehow.
After getting through, organiser John Hanson hands me a card to mark. It's Mick Coupe's opening match and he provided me with a fine example of how to squeeze out a good opponent on this green.
Second Round Qualifying
v JOHN PHILLIPS L 15-21 (off 3-3)
v JOHN PHILLIPS L 15-21 (off 3-3)
It can be a small world on the bowling circuit and next up was a rematch with Darwen based John who took me to the cleaners in the first round at the Chorley Subs Open back in May.
Faintly, a resigned feeling at not playing somebody else new, but also a determination to do better against this chap and show him I'm not a complete pushover.
John must be a renowned slow starter, for I recall winning the first few ends at Chorley and tonight he came back from 11-19 down to win his first round match before I got a great start once again, going five or six up before John got going, messing up my good bowls and sending better quality ones himself. Unlike our previous meeting though, I was a very slow burn. Very few two's conceded, I was there or there abouts on most ends and maybe unlucky a few times not to break his runs with the jack more frequently.
This was a much closer game, 11-11 at one point. But an end or two later I wastefully threw the jack off and despite rolling an excellent lead to where John sent it, he sent a real peach of a shot that sort of stamped his ever so slight authority from that moment onwards. It was another long run of singles that slowly got my opponent to the threshold of victory first.
My last wood didn't have to be brilliant to save, but down the dip towards the far right corner where John had already taken some points, my last wood was just too strong and I bowed out gracefully I like to think.
John's a good player. Maybe next time.
My last wood didn't have to be brilliant to save, but down the dip towards the far right corner where John had already taken some points, my last wood was just too strong and I bowed out gracefully I like to think.
John's a good player. Maybe next time.
All in all a good night of bowling and feeling better about it as my season drew to it's close.
No comments:
Post a Comment