RUNNING FINE AND DANDY
Crown green and fell running couldn't be further apart. As I may have mentioned in some introductory notes a few years ago, limited similarities of both disciplines would consist of belonging to the North country and both requiring some mastering of the lie of the land, all be it to very differing extents.I've discovered this year particularly, as much as I admire the beautiful craft of bowling and take satisfaction from it's role in fulfilling the yearning for sporting competition, fell running still rules the heart.
As does the desire to stay fit for long enough to finally race regularly again.
I keep coming back to it. The cycle of get fit - get injured - try again - repeat, has dominated efforts in my dwindling mid-to-late forties. It's been frustrating, but when it's something entrenched in the soul, there will always be a pair of legs on me ready to repair themselves and go again.
Approaching the half century mark of existence, it's only the last year or so I've finally accepted things aren't going to be what they used to be on the athletics front. I'd totally written myself off at one point, such was the frustrating constance of injury niggles.
The fact was though, I just needed to adapt my training to the ageing process and lower the bar of expectation - in fact remove it completely - or just lose the basic enjoyment factor which is ultimately what it's all about.
Over the last few months, I've built up a very good base level of fitness again and perhaps the best for three years or so.
Having tinkered along without interruption for a month or two, one evening I thought let's just go out and get a decent length of a run in. An eight miler on the roads from my doorstep up to Denham Hill behind Whittle-le-Woods was once a staple weekly run within a thirty or forty mile week.
Approaching the half century mark of existence, it's only the last year or so I've finally accepted things aren't going to be what they used to be on the athletics front. I'd totally written myself off at one point, such was the frustrating constance of injury niggles.
The fact was though, I just needed to adapt my training to the ageing process and lower the bar of expectation - in fact remove it completely - or just lose the basic enjoyment factor which is ultimately what it's all about.
Over the last few months, I've built up a very good base level of fitness again and perhaps the best for three years or so.
Having tinkered along without interruption for a month or two, one evening I thought let's just go out and get a decent length of a run in. An eight miler on the roads from my doorstep up to Denham Hill behind Whittle-le-Woods was once a staple weekly run within a thirty or forty mile week.
Now it would seem, a challenge of sorts for I didn't really have the confidence in thinking I could get round comfortably. Maybe a lack of confidence is an age thing too? Fear of the inevitable next niggle is the haunting thought that thwarts even the most modest of running ambitions these days.
But, of course I could do it. At a reasonable pace too. Next up then, a similarly nostalgic training route on the moors. For those who know their West Pennines, starting at White Coppice, to Great Hill, Spitler's Edge, Winter Hill and back the same way. Even with quicker going underfoot thanks to a rough path created from Spitler's down to the Belmont Road, I was still over ten minutes adrift of a previous self over a decade ago for a standard training outing. But, I felt just as good as back then and at least felt like I was shifting. That's what actually matters!
Since then, a similar distanced run each week transfered on to the fells has boosted my condition (and confidence) further.
But, of course I could do it. At a reasonable pace too. Next up then, a similarly nostalgic training route on the moors. For those who know their West Pennines, starting at White Coppice, to Great Hill, Spitler's Edge, Winter Hill and back the same way. Even with quicker going underfoot thanks to a rough path created from Spitler's down to the Belmont Road, I was still over ten minutes adrift of a previous self over a decade ago for a standard training outing. But, I felt just as good as back then and at least felt like I was shifting. That's what actually matters!
Since then, a similar distanced run each week transfered on to the fells has boosted my condition (and confidence) further.
Mixed in with a few lighter trots, some bike hurt and recently picking up cross country fartlek sessions with Ian Dandy on a Saturday morning.
The Preston Harriers coach was a brilliant roadracing frontrunner in his day. You can see he still lives and breaths the sport and wants to share his lifetime of knowledge in a positive way. There is a radiant, raw enthusiasm about him which I find really refreshing and I want to try and stick with his training group, maybe trying other sessions on offer during the week too.
With all due respect to those whose wing I may have been vaguely under before, Ian Dandy made a difference to my running in just one session last year by highlighting my ineffective arm movement which I've worked consciously on ever since.
I'm a Blackburn Harrier on paper, not Preston, so one morning to be the only runner not racing and available for his session seemed above and beyond the line of duty for him to come out on a squally October morning just for me. But Ian said, "If you're mad enough to do it, I'm mad enough to coach!".
The Preston Harriers coach was a brilliant roadracing frontrunner in his day. You can see he still lives and breaths the sport and wants to share his lifetime of knowledge in a positive way. There is a radiant, raw enthusiasm about him which I find really refreshing and I want to try and stick with his training group, maybe trying other sessions on offer during the week too.
With all due respect to those whose wing I may have been vaguely under before, Ian Dandy made a difference to my running in just one session last year by highlighting my ineffective arm movement which I've worked consciously on ever since.
I'm a Blackburn Harrier on paper, not Preston, so one morning to be the only runner not racing and available for his session seemed above and beyond the line of duty for him to come out on a squally October morning just for me. But Ian said, "If you're mad enough to do it, I'm mad enough to coach!".
The longer run and these weekly sessions had not only put a bit of strength back in to my legs, but also a bit of zip.
Typically of course, since putting this latest blog post together, a double injury niggle of mild hamstring strain and that old chestnut, the Baker's cyst getting itself all irritated again.
When running well, the danger can be a false sense of invincibility and whilst fully aware of the risks, I did push a bit hard on a six miler a few days before Ian's session and in the aftermath, paid the price.
Just over a week out wasn't too bad though and I got going again with a couple of gentle runs whilst away in Anglesey. However, a massive cold kicked in and wrote off the next two weeks as well!
So, steadily back in to it once again last week and with that half century mark now ticked off since starting this latest chapter of irrationally detailed accounts in one's amateur sporting life.
Typically of course, since putting this latest blog post together, a double injury niggle of mild hamstring strain and that old chestnut, the Baker's cyst getting itself all irritated again.
When running well, the danger can be a false sense of invincibility and whilst fully aware of the risks, I did push a bit hard on a six miler a few days before Ian's session and in the aftermath, paid the price.
Just over a week out wasn't too bad though and I got going again with a couple of gentle runs whilst away in Anglesey. However, a massive cold kicked in and wrote off the next two weeks as well!
So, steadily back in to it once again last week and with that half century mark now ticked off since starting this latest chapter of irrationally detailed accounts in one's amateur sporting life.
TOUGH OUTLOOK IN WINTER LEAGUE
A wet second half to the Summer has generated in to a very, very wet Autumn and the first two weeks of bowling in the Fox Lane Winter League were postponed. Now four matches in to the new season, playing on still sodden greens that were only just passable, our team Misfits have had a rocky start to the campaign in a division where our opponents look an even tougher prospect this season.
Last year's runners-up spot looks simply unattainable this time around, but if we can steady up after a rusty start, a top half finish wouldn't be an unreasonable ambition.
'Rusty' was definitely the key word in my first couple of games, having not rolled a bowl for a month. I lost with Steve Marginson, equally rusty and out of sorts, against Eammon Delaney and his partner at the back who made some great shots to pull them away after we threatened to make a game of it early on.
With Nigel Tomlinson, a closer game against Farington Cons duo Peter Quinn and John Steele. Going down 17-21 but again, not making a good account of myself overall. Nige's brilliant savers kept us in it and I cocked up on the last end with jack in hand, unable to improve much on a crap lead bowl.
The following week on the back green, a much better showing all round with Kevin Bibby. We both played quite well and saw off a newly promoted Croston Subs partnership. Will Rodden Jnr started the match well and looked like he might dominate, but Kevin and I hung in there in a closely contested match to turn a 7-11 reverse in to a 21-14 win.
In Fox Lane Winter League, each team plays two matches on the night. It's three points for winning both games. If one game won, two points for a superior points aggregate and one point if not.
Last year's runners-up spot looks simply unattainable this time around, but if we can steady up after a rusty start, a top half finish wouldn't be an unreasonable ambition.
'Rusty' was definitely the key word in my first couple of games, having not rolled a bowl for a month. I lost with Steve Marginson, equally rusty and out of sorts, against Eammon Delaney and his partner at the back who made some great shots to pull them away after we threatened to make a game of it early on.
With Nigel Tomlinson, a closer game against Farington Cons duo Peter Quinn and John Steele. Going down 17-21 but again, not making a good account of myself overall. Nige's brilliant savers kept us in it and I cocked up on the last end with jack in hand, unable to improve much on a crap lead bowl.
The following week on the back green, a much better showing all round with Kevin Bibby. We both played quite well and saw off a newly promoted Croston Subs partnership. Will Rodden Jnr started the match well and looked like he might dominate, but Kevin and I hung in there in a closely contested match to turn a 7-11 reverse in to a 21-14 win.
In Fox Lane Winter League, each team plays two matches on the night. It's three points for winning both games. If one game won, two points for a superior points aggregate and one point if not.
No three-pointers or even two-pointers so far and that's what's required to get ourselves out of a possible relegation scrap.
No comments:
Post a Comment