Thursday 6th June 2024
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-3: Bretherton 'A' 176-181 Eagle Reds
v JOAN FIELDING W 21-14
This turned out to be a game with a completely different feel to what I've been used to, but in a good way.
They're a great bunch down at Bretherton and Joan is a lovely lady. I've nattered with her on a good few occasions and I played against her partner Paul Ascroft here in my first season. Very sadly, Paul passed away last year.
Joan must have heard overinflated rumours of my recent improvement, as earlier in the evening she pleaded with me not to beat her to nil. I've seen Joan play, I've seen her results recently and so I knew that was never going to happen.
That humble and resignated approach changed the whole mood and context of normal service for a league match though. Of course, I still wanted to win, but not too heavily and thankfully that wasn't a choice to make because Joan played well.
My opponent put good woods up, wasn't short when I was on and knocked me out a good few times, unluckily finding tight gaps on occasion too.
My game was mainly good, a little wayward at times, but this beautiful green is a tricky one and even catches home bowlers out at times. It took a number of closely nestled twos to collectively keep Joan at arm's reach on the scorecard.
She had a decent run with the block and was just starting to make me feel uncomfortable when I finally broke with a good two and got the shout I was on nineteen.
A good lead followed, but I knocked myself out being greedy on my second bowl. Joan sent a perfectly delivered second for two and my full time scorer, Terry Grayston, tells me that nudges her up to fourteen.
Fortunately for me, Joan slightly overcooks both bowls on the last end and two good lengthed efforts thankfully put the dampeners on a comeback.
In the end I was happy to win, obviously, but also pleased for Joan to get fourteen. She seemed surprised and rather happy with that, but I think she should be a bit more confident about her game.
Later she asks me why I didn't send her on long marks - which I suspect she is used to from fellas in this league. I think firstly, it's tricky enough at Bretherton playing shorter stuff. I'm nowhere near good enough to come here and whizz it corner to corner. I'm trying to improve my game and winning long ends on the cheap because my opponent might not reach is not a tactic I want to use unless I get in a pickle and absolutely have to.
As it was, Joan and I had a really good game in the end. I think we both enjoyed it.
Our captain Harry Glynn was a happy chappy too as the team picked up a vital win here by just five chalks, maintaining our flighty position outside the bottom three.
As it was, Joan and I had a really good game in the end. I think we both enjoyed it.
Our captain Harry Glynn was a happy chappy too as the team picked up a vital win here by just five chalks, maintaining our flighty position outside the bottom three.
No comments:
Post a Comment