Thursday 4th July 2024
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-3:
Longton VM 180-160 Eagle Redsv GRAHAM JOHNSON W 21-12
A game of good ends and bad ends on Longton's lush main green that was running beautifully.
Fair to say I scored more good ends than bad ends which reflected in the scoreline.
Graham looked as if he was going to be a very tough opponent early on, with a nice delivery about him, but too often his length let him down. Neither of us had a particularly long stretch with the jack, although I did have a decent run along the bottom section of the green which Graham surprisingly just wasn't getting his head around despite home advantage. This seemed to be where a decent lead was built. Despite the hot and cold nature of this performance, I seemed able to pick a good bowl out when I had to. Besides, an away win is never to be baulked at so I shouldn't pick too many critical holes in myself, even though I want to. This season my results continue to be better on my travels more than at home on the Eagle.
Our team result wasn't a total disaster with three winners on a big tricky green.
What a bowling facility at Longton. Last season when I visited here, the second green next door to the main one had gone to pasture. Now it looks in fine nick, just like the main one.
Two greens with lots of character and lovely surfaces side by side, social club bar and plenty of sheltered spectating. A good sized car park too, what a bloody good venue. This may sound like a review for a spoof 'Crown Green Visitors Guide', but Longton VMSC is one of quite a few local gems going strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment