Monday 23rd September 2024
TIM ROBINSON AUTUMN FLOODLIT DOUBLES
QUARTER FINALS
Paired with PETER BYLINSKI v TERRY GRAYSTON & HENRY HOYLES W 31-21 (off 6-5)
As expected, this was another tight doubles match in which neither pair could shake off the other for the first twenty ends with the scores standing at 17-17.
Just prior to that, I felt the threat of young Henry getting too comfortable with the block, which I remember him doing against Barry and I with great effect in last year's final. This prompted our decision to swap around and whilst it took me a few ends to settle up front, Peter's performance instantly stepped up another notch from the back and he delivered probably half a dozen absolutely perfect winners that undoubtedly made the difference.
Whilst still at a stalemate, it was a bowl from Peter that completely turned the game on it's head. Terry and Henry were holding a well weighted foursome as our first three bowls had all shot through by a yard or more. Instructions to Peter for his second bowl, "Four down. Take a bit of umph out and get amongst them, see what you can save..."
I nip over to my bag for a more waterproof top as the rain came back and look across to see Peter's bowl flying. "Holy shit", I mutter.
Then I hear that beautifully pitched "clack" of a bowl hitting the jack full on and sure enough he's only gone and knocked the target bowl and followed through for an incredible four to us! An eight point swing in one end. A real game changer.
It was rebellious genius from Peter.
Momentum then carried us to 28-21 and lying two when further bad fortune for our opponents saw Tez sending a perfectly aimed weighty bowl to smash things up, which he did, only for everything to settle and now counting three for us. That suddenly tipped us over the line to win.
We're in the semi-finals tomorrow night.
Can we do it? Anything can happen with Mr Bylinski.
No comments:
Post a Comment