Thursday 22nd August 2024
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-3: Farington BC 'A' 206-145 Eagle Reds
v JOHN FRODSHAM L 16-21
I was expecting to get Farington's regular number ten of this season and sure enough that was the case. I've seen John play before and knew he would a very difficult match, especially on his home green.
John seemed to carry on from where Nigel left me last Sunday with great leads putting me under the cosh, but unlike Sunday I was getting stuck in and making sure Mr Frodsham didn't have it all his own way.
An early attempt to reel the deficit in with two lovely bowls towards the scoreboard corner was smashed out by the home bowler who made two for himself. It was a quality strike and I had started to think it was one of those nights. I was playing alright but not looking likely to get double figures with John in this sort of form.
I don't suffer too many long periods unable to get the jack back these days and it's about making it count when I do. In this match I tried some shorter marks away from the green edges and with some success as I battled back in to the game at 13-14.
A couple of careless ends on my part followed though, pegged back again to 13-17 with momentum handed to my opponent.
I clinged on some ends longer but just didn't have the extra bit of class required to close him in again.
John was a handful with the block all night with cracking leads and I can't complain to myself, it was a good game, probably the
best I've played on this green in my seven or eight appearances here and I took satisfaction from at least making John work for his win.
Farington took nine winners on the night, but as John pointed out the night after when I saw him again, his team's promotion rivals Victoria and Ashton also bagged nine so nothing gained going in to the last game of the season.
I was expecting to get Farington's regular number ten of this season and sure enough that was the case. I've seen John play before and knew he would a very difficult match, especially on his home green.
John seemed to carry on from where Nigel left me last Sunday with great leads putting me under the cosh, but unlike Sunday I was getting stuck in and making sure Mr Frodsham didn't have it all his own way.
An early attempt to reel the deficit in with two lovely bowls towards the scoreboard corner was smashed out by the home bowler who made two for himself. It was a quality strike and I had started to think it was one of those nights. I was playing alright but not looking likely to get double figures with John in this sort of form.
I don't suffer too many long periods unable to get the jack back these days and it's about making it count when I do. In this match I tried some shorter marks away from the green edges and with some success as I battled back in to the game at 13-14.
A couple of careless ends on my part followed though, pegged back again to 13-17 with momentum handed to my opponent.
I clinged on some ends longer but just didn't have the extra bit of class required to close him in again.
John was a handful with the block all night with cracking leads and I can't complain to myself, it was a good game, probably the
best I've played on this green in my seven or eight appearances here and I took satisfaction from at least making John work for his win.
Farington took nine winners on the night, but as John pointed out the night after when I saw him again, his team's promotion rivals Victoria and Ashton also bagged nine so nothing gained going in to the last game of the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment