Blog Archive

05/09/2024

UP THE WALL BUT DID WELL TO WIN

Monday 26th August 2024
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2:
Hilltops 'B' 157-137 Eagle & Child 'A'
v HAROLD DYSON W 21-18

Up at Blackrod for the last Chorley league match just like last year, less at stake for the team this time and a slightly more successful evening all round on the tricky green of Hilltops Social Club.
I seemed to have a better feel for it on this second visit and Harold wasn't posing too much of a threat. I think I heard something like 11-3 called between the scorers after ten ends and whilst chickens weren't being counted, I seemed in control of the game and playing well enough to see it out.
That was, until Harold had me up against the wall. The long stretch along the wall at the far side of the green where the marks are tricky, playing against peg in an area of the green where you wouldn't expect it.
The first visit there proved costly. If Harold was something of a one-trick pony along the wall end, it was a trick he was very good at. Eight points were conceded in five ends and we were level. My escape from there was shortlived, one down next end and back we went to the corner, conceding another single and I was up the wall again. I found a couple of savers but the match was getting critically beyond me down there as I now trailed 14-18, until I finally sent a cracker when Harold left me just enough room for once.
Then I picked up a double on the next end and was back in the game and starting to play as well as I had all match, claiming a couple of close singles to level the score.
With the green to ourselves now, I risked the far corner again and heard one of their lot mutter, "That's brave", as the jack rested up. But I played it really well with a perfect lead and one a few inches behind for back up. Harold, who had struck with effect earlier in the game, was only inches off hitting my back bowl but it stood and I'd reversed the scores to 20-18.
I go somewhere different, a bit longer and just run over by a yard as the green slopes off the crown. Harold was a bit narrow but looks on, due to better length.
I take a bit out of my second and find the right road again. As it approaches, I hear our own Keith Anderton say, "This is a cracking bowl, this..." and I rested assured, Keith knows these things and sure enough I gently tap the jack up.
Harold had to have a go and splatted bowls everywhere. I'm not sure what happened exactly, he was perhaps a shade unlucky but I was still on and that's all that mattered to me.
Chuffed with the way I saw out the game and didn't get myself too flustered after squandering a good lead.
It's been a season of consolidation for this team in Chorley & District's second tier. Almost promoted to the top flight last year, the loss of key players and some nights down to the bare bone availability of eight players, managing to stay in the division was a suitable outcome all things considered. On the plus side, the squad strengthened now by the acquisitions of Matt and Henry Hoyles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment