Wednesday 23rd April 2025
FLEETWOOD SPRING WATERLOO
At the Euston Green, Fleetwood BCFIRST ROUND QUALIFIER
v KEVIN MOSS (Preston) L 16-21 (off 3-3)
I hadn't read the smallprint or forgot what the usual time was for the Waterloo games, turning up well over an hour early I checked in wondering where the hell everyone else was.
With time to kill and wishing I'd brought some running gear, I take a little wander along Fleetwood front, gazing over Morecambe Bay to the South Lakes skyline and have a bite to eat. When trying to find out the smallprint I missed, I see a notification from my home club and it's very sad news.
Long time member Jim Turner had passed away, a former team mate of mine on Thursday evenings and a really lovely chap. After looking forward to today's bowls, I then felt rather flat and naturally saddened hearing about Jim. I considered the least I could do was try and play with a smile as he would.
When back to Fleetwood BC in time for practice, clubhouse facilities were not yet opened and I begin to see the unsavoury sight of recognisable County players strewn around the back of the neighbouring Lighthouse green peeing behind bushes and walls.
"But if it's good enough for them...", I thought.
Clambering through a gap to go round the back of an old shed I snag my Craft windproof on a protruding screw. Pardon the pun, but I was truly PISSED about that! On the one hand my own stupid fault, but on the other totally unnecessary if the clubhouse had been accessible in time.
I've lauded previously the fact that I and the game as a whole should be grateful this historic competition is still running if ten miles further up the Lancashire coast, but this was not a flattering situation for a prestigious competition. Players were arriving in droves, had travelled far and wide and required the bare minimum of a public convenience.
This particular qualifying session started out as more a case of the Fleetwood Waterloo-less.
I was initially drawn against Paul Culley who I narrowly beat at Sabden last Autumn, but I didn't spot him during practice and sure enough my opponent had changed since going to press. Thankfully not a bye to round two at least, there's no joy in that.
I could tell from the practice session I was going to play a bit better than of late, but whilst I did start to put up some real good ones in this game, the consistency from one bowl to the next just wasn't quite there again.
Kevin is a vastly experienced player and a good one. Too good to get away with many mistakes against. He played in a big competition at my Eagle & Child club back in the 1980's. "It was a tenner to enter even back then", he recalled.
There wasn't a lot between us for a long period. Unlike recent matches, I could find a big bowl when I needed it and addressed the lack of aggression with three out of four successful weighted hits when Kevin had wrapped the block up.
I couldn't keep hold of the jack though as lead bowls too often let me down. It was a confidence thing, a niggling doubt as I sent the bowl. It was Kevin who eventually had a run with it, playing three or four superbly tight ends in succession to make a break for the finish line.
It was a good game. Another loss, another first round exit here but at least I put up a fight and came away feeling like a much needed win isn't far around the corner.
I couldn't keep hold of the jack though as lead bowls too often let me down. It was a confidence thing, a niggling doubt as I sent the bowl. It was Kevin who eventually had a run with it, playing three or four superbly tight ends in succession to make a break for the finish line.
It was a good game. Another loss, another first round exit here but at least I put up a fight and came away feeling like a much needed win isn't far around the corner.
No comments:
Post a Comment