Monday 5th May 2025
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2:
Mawdesley 'A' (167) 9-1 Eagle & Child 'A' (115)v ALEX PETERS L 18-21
Defeats are outweighing victories just now, but it's not at all demoralising. I'm playing quite well, I like the feel of how bowls are leaving my hand and that a consistent technique is developing. I believe I can only get better and better this season.
Although still seeking a first away win in either league, I can take only positives from my first visit to Mawdesley's idyllic bowling green.
Up against a spritely 78 year old Darlingtonian with a Scottish accent who has been playing this West Lancashire green since 1987, for most parts of the game I felt like I had the slight edge over my opponent. That was certainly the case until leading 13-11 when I got trapped on a mark that proved to be too expensive in the end.
Going one way, Alex was sending tight woods on a good distance over which saving a point was a good outcome, whilst the other way playing a ridge on to a small mound in the corner, saw Alex's lighter bowls hold their place and yet look perfectly beatable, but mine just trickled off and pegged away if I got one up there.
Trailing 13-18 I finally broke free and managed to squeeze my way back in to contention. At 18-20 unfortunately my leading toucher was rightly long-taped. It was the second time Alex measured me out but this time I was a whole 1.8 metres shy of regulation length, so fair enough.
Still lying two half decent ones to potentially go all-but across, instinctively I knew I'd left a little too much room and the home bowler mopped up the gaps to finally see me off.
Going one way, Alex was sending tight woods on a good distance over which saving a point was a good outcome, whilst the other way playing a ridge on to a small mound in the corner, saw Alex's lighter bowls hold their place and yet look perfectly beatable, but mine just trickled off and pegged away if I got one up there.
Trailing 13-18 I finally broke free and managed to squeeze my way back in to contention. At 18-20 unfortunately my leading toucher was rightly long-taped. It was the second time Alex measured me out but this time I was a whole 1.8 metres shy of regulation length, so fair enough.
Still lying two half decent ones to potentially go all-but across, instinctively I knew I'd left a little too much room and the home bowler mopped up the gaps to finally see me off.
I enjoyed playing the green here and it will be good to have this experience under my belt for the next visit.
Unfortunately a bad night at the office for our team after last week's good win. A couple of games going to the last end but only Matt Hoyles salvaging a point for us after an impressive turnaround from 5-12 down.
Unfortunately a bad night at the office for our team after last week's good win. A couple of games going to the last end but only Matt Hoyles salvaging a point for us after an impressive turnaround from 5-12 down.
No comments:
Post a Comment