Monday 28th April 2025
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2:
Eagle & Child 'A' (162) 9-1 Bellingham BC (140)v SHEILA SPEED W 21-17
A good start proved essential to starting the Chorley League season with a win.
Playing with confidence on the back of a good week of home bowling, I forged ahead despite my opponent's bowls never being so far away.
At 13-6, progress had slowed a little but I seemed to be on my way to seeing the match out. However Sheila showed her County pedigree and began to stretch me out with some formidable long bowling that I was doing well to put savers up to. Despite my game hardly dropping much, apart from a couple of poor ends where I ran short as the green started to slow up, I found myself heading towards a tight finish.
We drew level at 16-16 but I nudged back ahead with a very important length bowl under pressure to land between two good ones from Shelia.
Although losing the next end, my contingency plan of placing the jack to limit Sheila's potential chucking power paid dividends. Choosing a short but tricky mark towards our Town End seatery, Sheila finally left room for me to go 19-17 and then see out the game on the next end.
A good game against a good player. I was guilty of thinking, if only fleetingly, about victory too early which is a lesson to learn and there was a sense of relief to finally get make it.
Our 'A' team is under threat this season with one or two more players unavailable and captain Margy had to beg to make a team up tonight. Despite that, seven winners from eight against Bellingham who were relegated from the top division last season was a great result and hopefully more wins can somehow contribute to keeping a side together.
No comments:
Post a Comment