Blog Archive

24/05/2025

TABLES TURNED

 Monday 19th May 2025
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2: Croston Subs (145) 7-3 Eagle & Child 'A' (111)
v DAVE AINDOW W 21-8

For a sixth time in eleven league matches this season I was coincidentally drawn against a player I've previously encountered.
Given that I've only played at Croston Subs once before, I wasn't overjoyed at first given that two seasons ago Dave beat me up 5-21, which inflicted my second heaviest league defeat to date and that, despite the recollection of having not played too badly.
This turned out to be a different game altogether though and the contrasting conditions seemed to suit me more than him. This brilliant green with all sorts of mounds and channels was running quick and I took to it.
I was getting my bowls close enough and consistently enough to put Dave under a bit of early pressure. Combined with the fact Dave's game just wasn't matching up to our previous meeting, I sailed in to an 11-3 lead. A first away win of the season looked on the cards and about bloody time.
The home bowler dug in for a comeback but couldn't keep hold of the block for more than an end at a time. I found the right bowl when I needed it and finished the match with two belters.
Given that I didn't take to Hoghton last week and yet adapted to playing here, this highlights one of the many peculiarities of the game and how it can be very much a case of horses for courses.
Just three winners on the night for our team completed a third defeat in succession and a tough season lies ahead. But reason for cheer and the biggest cheer of the night was for our youngest player Henry Hoyles, one day shy of his fourteenth birthday and last remaining match on the green with all eyes on, Henry scored a good win against Bob Tweddle with some cracking woods on the last few ends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment