Blog Archive

26/06/2025

BOWLS AS GOOD AS THE MAT!

Monday 23rd June 2025
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2:
Bretherton 'A' (141) 7-3 Eagle & Child 'A' (128)
v JOHN SENIOR W 21-10

I sensed our fifteen minutes of practice was up for games to get started and rushed my last two rolls which were both yards off. I chucked the mat towards the starting area and hear, "You throw a mat much better than your bowls!".
Thinking to myself, "Who the frig's that?", I calmly look over towards the mystery mouthpiece who didn't even grant me the courtesy of eye contact. A bit rude.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken it personally, but then again why not? As our Vernon says in his beautifully broad Lancastrian tones, "It's war aht theer!" and it would soon transpire that this chap was to be my opponent a little later on... red rag to a bull!
I was feeling confident anyway on this green and John's unfiltered comment served only to make me even more determined to get another win here.
My leads could have been better earlier on but my second bowl often made up for it.
A good two to start was followed by a total mess of the next end, but after a couple more jousts going either way I settled down and heard the scores at a commanding 12-5.
John wasn't doing too much wrong to be fair. He was mainly on the land throughout the match and was a reacher, never afraid to send his woods far enough and that made him a danger. A few times he did spoil my good work, but I had a habit of spoiling his. Probably half a dozen times beating one of his best with something even better.
At 17-7 and dangerously perhaps, I couldn't foresee a way I could lose because of the way I was playing and especially when once again sending a sensational winner when John had every right to think he had done enough.
Unlike my last match, everything was in synch tonight. Not everything was perfect of course and John played a good game, but even after an excellent lead on a mark he played earlier I put two closer ones up to seal the win in very satisfactory fashion.
There was air of confidence about my bowling and I think that resonated as the game went on and, importantly, I did prove to Mr Senior that I can throw some bowls just as well as the mat!
I had some good practice matches with Nigel the previous day, playing through puddles to begin with after a hefty summer shower. Nige had got in my head since murdering me in last year's President's Day semi and I've rarely beat him in practice either, but I'm currently on a mind-bending five wins on the trot against Mr Tomlinson. He hasn't read my bowling diaries, better things to do I expect, but he did say he expected a mention after the tide has been turning. So there it is!
Getting tonked by Sutton didn't do Nige any harm though, continuing recent good form with a win. Shell Anderton also won, but unfortunately we only managed three winners against our relegation rivals. This result has given them some breathing space, but the Brethertonians come to our place next week and that's a chance to reel back the deficit.

GOOD WEEK OF TRAINING
Some good teeth gritting stuff on the bike taking in the hilly delights of a few West Pennine roads. Meanwhile another thirty seconds off my time on the Monday morning Pendle run without busting my balls too hard and descending like some sort of proper runner again with instinctive foot placement and heels up almost kicking my backside.
The best way to start a day on the fells seems to set up the best way to finish it with a win on the green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment