Blog Archive

07/07/2025

HOME STRUGGLES STRIKE AGAIN

Thursday 3rd July 2025
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-1:
Eagle Blue (186) 7-5 Brownedge (161)
v STUART FINNEY L 18-21

Starting the game unable to do any wrong and quickly stretching out in to a lead of 8-2, I lost my sense of length on a mark I normally reach well and then struggled thereon. Bowls weren't coming out of my hand smoothly or with any sort of assurance that I've got used to of late and I couldn't find a way back.
Part way through the match I realised I was wearing my shirt was inside-out. It was to be a night when I couldn't get much right. 
Left-hander Stuart grew in confidence and had every right to. He was on it, I wasn't, but he did leave opportunities that I didn't snap up which only added to my own frustrations.
After going behind by a few, somehow I recovered back to 16-16 and still in it, but then once again off the land with my lead bowl despite a good length, I'm then inexplicably yards over with my second. Stuart then added a couple more to get to the brink and was hitting road and length very well to keep the pressure on. I scratched a couple more singles together and then went for a mark that I thought might catch a lefty out. My lead left room and my opponent filled the gap to perfection. Stuart played well and deserved the win.
This game has left me scratching my head a bit. Having an off night is one thing, but to start the match still carrying good form and then completely lose it in the flash of one end... it was strange. Concentration sapped and I just totally lost my length and sense of what the hell I was doing really.
Home turf struggles continue. I can't blame the green, it's in great nick although different depending on a cut, but I should be able to handle that by now. I'll have to put it down to a bad night and relent that you can't win 'em all.
Sometimes in sport and competitive games you need knocking a step backwards to take the next steps forward and I've got to believe that, knuckle down to practice and put things right next game.
Scoring eighteen wasn't a bad return given the circumstances and helped our team take the aggregate scores to win a close match of five winners each. 

No comments:

Post a Comment