Thursday 10th July 2025
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-1: Chorley St Joseph's 'A' (194) 10-2 Eagle Blue (150)
v JACK MARROW L 10-21
Whilst entering a period of fragile form and flailing belief, an untimely visit to top of the table St Joe's was next on the card. One of the toughest matches of the season guaranteed and from this team of la crème, I was drawn against one of the crème de la crème in Jack Marrow.
All I could do was put the last two matches behind me and try to scrape out a reasonable account of myself. If I'm honest - and it's a terrible admission - I was already beaten as we shook hands to start. Self belief has shrunk so quickly of late that I pretty much knew I wasn't capable of pushing Jack as far as a more ambitious version of myself would've been gunning for a couple of weeks ago.
I think a reasonable account of myself was made though and I played some ends really well. That wasn't always good enough against Mr Marrow here on his own patch and I was a mere baby courgette aspiring to grow in to something big enough to compete.
I was outclassed but, aside from repeatedly rolling my woods off the speedy south side of the green and not learning my lesson there, end for end I was in the game for the most part and even started to believe I could outdo my meagre aspirations for a fleeting moment mid-match when, only four down and holding a good two in the near corner, Jack put me back in my box with a remarkable winner to restore his authority.
Two winners for our team on the night was as good as it was probably going to get. Our captain Aaron played a blinder to beat Matt Kenyon and Steve Marginson's good form continued to beat Adam Walsh.
A week's holiday coming up now and a break from the green which will do no harm. At least I left with a feeling of climbing back up the rope. One win apiece versus Nigel in two close practice games the day before departure reinforced that feeling. If I wasn't bowling better again, games with Nige wouldn't have been so close.
Maybe I've been dramatic. My game went to pot for a couple of matches and it might be nothing other than a mid-season blip.
No comments:
Post a Comment