Monday 18th August 2025
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2: Eagle & Child 'A' (162) 8-2 Mawdesley (124)
v MICKY BROOKS W 21-8
But I was quickly over it and completely focused on this league game. Our team need the points to avoid slipping in to the relegation mire and I just need a win.
I started the match with a good second wood to break Micky's steady first end and put out good lead after good lead to reach maybe eleven or twelve before my opponent got on the card. I could tell Micky wasn't a bad bowler but he just wasn't getting it on our green that night and without the block on there right now it's hard work for anyone. It was pace that was his downfall and despite my own game starting to stutter a bit, I had stretched out to a score of unchartered territory for me at 18-1.
Micky apologised for not even giving me a game. I've been there, I know the feeling. I think there was ever so slightly a little bit of sympathy for the Mawdesley visitor. Twice he had tapped me up for two when I really didn't need any help. I just wasn't ruthless enough to see the job out there and then though. Two sloppy short ones were beaten by Micky who then stretched out a bit, found a length and rallied back to eight. I felt it was only a matter of time before I broke back and sure enough got over the line playing two ends more like I did in the first half.
Micky was ever such a gracious player under the circumstances. Clearly having a bad game by his standards, but with a brave face and an acknowledgement that I also played well too for the most part.
Back to winning ways and a good night all round with six winners, the aggregate and eight points that all but mathematically seals our place in Division Two next season. It's been a tough ride for captain Steve Marginson this season. An already diminished squad was borderline short before Shell Anderton's hip operation, then replacement Steve Loynd was out with a hernia op and Nigel not always available.
But there is hope I think to be more competitive further up the table next year with a full squad and one or two of our stand-in players maybe interested in hanging around for some Monday night action.
No comments:
Post a Comment