v MARK HOULIHAN W 21-9
St George's Day versus St George's had an ominous feel to it, but it was another good point scoring evening for Eagle Blues and a fourth win from four for myself in this league.
Mark started the match with some excellent bowling which had me on the back foot and I did wonder if it wasn't going to be my night. A few errors, including sending a bowl wildly wrong peg only heightened my fears. But not far beneath the surface was a belief that I could get back in it before it was too late. At 0-4 Mark had another close two at the ready, but I corrected my slightly short first to perfection and stole in which triggered the confidence. Two more similarly big bowls helped to turn the tide and I broke in to double figures first at 11-9.
Mark's game lost it's early sparkle as mine got stronger and found a few patches of the green my opponent wasn't adjusting to. I ran out to win from this point. My two winners not the prettiest sight, but I'd switched the pendulum of pressure around and in the end won by a score that looks comfortable.
Concentration levels were once again much better. This was precisely the sort of game in which, not so long ago, my temperament would have blown up early on and a struggle would ensue. But those demons remain dormant for now and rather than curse myself and get all excited, a wry smile with a positive intent to put it right next bowl is starting to reveal signs of being much more consistent in my play.
I turned up there last night getting ribbed by a few teammates for being top of the league averages. It's very early days and of course, there is only one way to go from there and with some big boys to play yet, there is no doubt it's a shortlived acclaim. But this win kept me there for another week at least and if nothing else, it was worth a screenshot on my phone! It may not and most likely won't happen again. On the one hand it's a bit embarrassing when looking at the esteemed bowlers beneath, but equally I might as well enjoy the moment at the top of the tree. It certainly gives me a little more validity and credibility than usual going in to a singles competition at Penwortham tonight.
Our team remain fourth and just four points off the top. This too will be a temporary high no doubt, with all the top teams to play yet, but it raises the bar of our expectations and gives us a belief that we can do better than just simply avoid relegation.
No comments:
Post a Comment