Blog Archive

01/05/2026

FORM CONTINUES IN CHORLEY LEAGUE

Monday 27th April 2026
Chorley & District League Div-2: Eagle & Child 'A' (145) 7-3 Coppull 'A' (120)
v ERIC CROMPTON W 21-8

The first drop of rain for a week or two was timed to perfection for the start of the Chorley & District League. It was only a fifteen minute sprinkle however.
The new season started at home and I was drawn against the same player I played in the opposite fixture at Coppull last year. Eric is the most senior player in this team and has been playing crown green for well over sixty years.
This game was as much about the gentlemanly way it should be played as it was about continuing to bowl well and win. I managed to maintain concentration levels whilst also respecting the friendly spirit in which Eric likes to play. I'm sure he encounters some grumpy bastard bowlers that won't converse with him, but I certainly wasn't going to be one of those. He's a grand chap and also enjoyed a natter with him after the match.
It wouldn't be normal these days if I didn't play the first end poorly and concede two and sure enough I did. Two down again next end, I found a good second bowl to break back quickly and then got in to my stride. There were very few bowls that I was dissatisfied with and the score had become unassailable for my opponent. But Eric found his length and did produce some brilliant winners to make a real game of it in the latter stages and particularly over my own favourite patch in front of the pavillion. Some belting ends that went either way, I was really enjoying this section of the match and was actually chuffed for Eric. Having started to go a bit quiet as the match quickly got away from him, he restored pride and showed what he can do. He sent two good ones on the final end too, but I still managed to get around them both with little room to spare and continue this winning run in the leagues so far.
Team wise, a slightly new look side won five from eight and the aggregate for a decent start. Ian Waring and Mick Bibby have come up from the 'B' team with both of them coming unstuck on their debuts and whilst the standard is tougher in this division for them, I'm confident they will adapt and become even better players for it. Progress isn't made in this game by staying in your comfort zone. You've got to relish playing better players, focus on the positives but take the tonkings and learn from it. I can't advocate much in my five years of bowling, but nobody can say I haven't chucked myself in at the deep end when I didn't need to. Results and performances are now starting to show the fruition of such over-ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment