Monday 1st June 2026
Chorley District League Div-2: Eagle & Child 'A' (144) 7-3 Black Horse 'A' (141)
v JAMES WALLWORK W 21-17Typically on the first day of meteorological Summer, rain was back on the agenda as we hosted the Black Horse team from Croston. This was a third meeting against James in all competitions. Most recently I got the better of him on his patch last season, but I was fully aware he was in better form this term and also knows our green very well.
Given the conditions the surface was running quite well when we went on, zipping over the surface water shallows without too much drag. A good game was in progress and James had the upper hand I felt. I was finding difficulty in getting a break together and was continuously thwarted by some really good bowls from the Black Horse man. Having said that, despite my struggles and a few frustrating moments I put up maybe four or five big bowls myself when the chips were down to keep myself in contention.
Things were close going in to the final stages of the game and the rain became more and more torrential at 16-15. I was pretty pleased to have nudged ahead here because I'd been trailing throughout. I do enjoy a big splat of summer rain but more when I'm out running than playing bowls. The game became a slinging competition but the conditions seemed to work for me better than for James. A few more errors slipped from my opponent and I managed to get to the winning line first.
It wasn't pretty and there wasn't much joy in it other than getting the right result. But sometimes you've just got to slog through, ride your luck and make sure you send the ones that matter.
Team captain Steve Marginson was our last player still on the green after I'd come off and played really well to run out winner from 14-12 which not only sealed our fifth win, but took the match with just three chalks to spare on the aggregate. We were all chuffed for Ronnie Roberts too, who won his first match for the team and a big one that helps us remain unbeaten and still second placed with a seven point cushion to Hesketh Bank in third.
No comments:
Post a Comment