Blog Archive

26/07/2026

DARREN JUST HAS THE EDGE

Thursday 23rd July 2026
Leyland & District League Div-1: Bretherton (182) 9-3- Eagle Blues (158)
v DARREN EDGERLEY L 20-21

Having finished this game a little disappointed not to have beaten Darren Edgerley was a result in itself. Darren is a quality player.

I got myself in to a good position early on and sent some really good stuff, later finding out I was actually making gains on one of Daren's favourite marks. But my opponent finally got in to the sort of groove I expected and found somewhere ekse to hurt me, playing full length of the green and close to the edges where he continuously put some superb bowls up that were more or less unbeatable. There were times I nearly got in or sent two pretty good ones myself for no reward, but Darren was on a good run to lead 12-18 until I finally stole in with what had to be perfection. Resting just on the inside of another if his corking lead bowls.

Simply happy to have broken the spell at first, I won a few ends back, recovered to sixteen which I thought was very respectable against this fella before dropping an end and then facing the music at 17-20. Yet there was more to come and more regular possession of the jack again helped me regain my touch and I drew level to stand on the mat with that all important smaller yellow bowl still in my hand. 

On a deciding end, a good lead bowl is absolutely paramount and I felt I'd sent one until it hit Brian Parker's incoming bowl from his match with our Nigel.

On the retake, I go short and whilst Darren's was a couple of feet off, I'd lost my feel for it and put too much in my second one.

Disappointment, a few regrets at shot choices looking back at the game, but bloody hell. It was a good game on this Bretherton green that still has it's issues and to run one of their club's top brass so close was no mean feat if I don't say so myself.

Getting over the line would have been an extra point for our team though and three winners on the night was scant consolation rather than any jubilation. Geoff Bibby's fine win against James Whittle was highlight of the evening. But aside from our final fixture, we've a few weeks off against this division's upper sanctum and we ought to be now looking the finish the season in the more positive manner that we started it.

No comments:

Post a Comment