FARINGTON OPEN SINGLES
THIRD QUALIFYING NIGHT
Whilst results have been up and down lately, generally I've been happy with how I've been playing. I was glad of a chance to quickly put the previous night's collapse behind me and see how I faired at the Farington Singles this year.
Previous attempts have been poor here, not only outclassed, but just not playing well on the night either. I wasn't going to bother entering this one anymore, but a good performance on this green against Phil Snape earlier in the season gave me a bit of belief to have one last shot at it.
I've probably improved since playing Phil too and just feel my game is made of much sterner stuff now, so I was really up for this. With no other objective than to play well, that's all you can do and see where it gets you.
FIRST QUALIFYING ROUND
v JOHN HANSON (Longridge) W 21-10
A bit of history repeating itself here as I faced one of my favourite bowling characters, John "The Gentleman" Hanson here, just as I did two years ago. Based simply on the fact that I know I'm a better player now, I wouldn't say I thought I could win, but knew if I played as well as I can then it would give me a really good chance.
We chatted before the game. My loyalty to his upcoming Longridge Floodlit Singles competition was checked in. Then it was down to business on the green.
I got off to a decent start and began to grow in confidence. I don't think John was on quite as good a form as our last meeting, but then again I was the player asking more of the questions this time around and managed to get him under pressure.
On eighteen I had a little wobble. Stuck on that score the previous evening, I can't deny it got inside my head and John had started putting some real good ones up too. But thankfully tonight I broke back quickly and had not only had a decent game in this competition at last, but also won one.
............
During the time spent waiting to go back on, I kept myself relaxed and generally in good company, but not everybody was a positive influence.
As soon as I came off against John, there was a strong implication from a spectating Gary Drake that I'd had an easier draw and that the green conditions suited me since everywhere has had a thorough dampening!
Still unsure if Gary is joking most of the time,
either way, I certainly didn't ask for his surmise but let's assume there's some truth in his remarks. Well, most disrespectful to John Hanson who is a very good seasoned bowler and qualified for finals night here two years ago. Secondly, I'd prefer a fast running green than a stiff one these days. But whatever, the conditions are what they are and the same for all players.
I've grown used to coming to this competition and hear the same old "experts" cast judgments from the luxury of the greenside benches and huts.
To be fair to Gary, another former finals night qualifier, he paid his entry fee and had a go last week. But not so in the case of local bowlers Roger Iddon and Kevin Topp. These two were actually quite insulting about my presence here tonight.
As I touched on from previous attempts in this competition, Roger in particular is quite dismissive of lesser players such as myself putting themselves in the firing line against the big boys in singles competitions.
What I feel is a tenacity for the sheer willingness to face more challenging experiences, Roger considers to be some sort of meaningless madness.
Anyway Roger and Kevin happened to be together and in my space when they asked who I was playing next round...
"Peter Hawkes", I promptly replied.
There was a short pause before Roger and Kevin just chuckled away to each other. No words, no eye contact with me, there didn't need to be. I could see the proverbial thought bubbles above their heads which read, "You've fucking NO chance, lad!".
So much for supporting the local fella having a go!
This made me even more determined to put up a decent resistance against top player Peter. I mean getting through a round to play someone of this calibre was exactly what being there that night was all about for me. Roger in particular simply does not understand that mentality or the benefits that it can bring to your game.
...........
SECOND QUALIFYING ROUND
v PETER HAWKES (Preston) L 13-21
Peter Hawkes has been in the top echelons of the game for decades. He's won stuff, he's still winning stuff and regularly gets to the latter stages of the many competitions he tours around to. I don't know his full CV, I've not been in the game long enough, but I've seen him play a few times on league nights when he represents Frenchwood and more often than not it's a masterclass.
Respect for my opponent I most certainly had, but believing if I could just notch my game up a touch from the first round, I might he able to put up a fight. About to face the bowler known affectionately as "Chesney" for reasons only millennials might not understand, I was buzzing as we met at the mat. No nerves, just sheer (look fwd) to the challenge that lay ahead.
Winning the toss, my lead bowl is short. Note to self it's slowed down even more. My second bowl is very well adjusted though and I settle down straight away. A couple more good leads and it's 3-0. Then I slip a lead too short and Peter's bowls magnetically rest on the jack as if I didn't know what I was up against. But I sent some quite incredible woods at times, notably stealing in when Peter had more than a right to think he'd done enough on quite a few occasions and also turning over to play through and make two when two down. Until the latter stages of the match, I was a constant threat. We went 8-8 and it was around that time an amazing round peg end saw my leading toucher tapped out, then I tapped Peter out again before he kissed mine out again and pushed through with tje jack to make two. I even said to him it was almost a pleasure to concede two there - but it turned out to be a crucial end.
Once Peter had nudged in front he was very difficult to reel back in. It was cat and mouse for a while. I'd get within two or three again and then either dip with my lead bowl or simply succumb to my opponent's class. I then struggled with length on a mark which frustratingly Peter wasn't exactly nailing to perfection himself, meanwhile the other way back over to the vegetable garden I was unlucky a few times not to sneak another pearler in but it wasn't to be and Peter had ran out to qualify for finals night.
He got me a pint and spent a bit of time with me, saying me how well I played. I was gushing to be honest, Peter really rated my performance and reckons if I can play to that level consistency I can win things. I mean I'm not sure about that, just reaching a finals night remains the immediate ambition as I told him. But Peter remained adamant, so I have to take the compliment and surf on the confidence that this night and his comments have given me.
Of the greenside critics, Gary knew I'd put up a decent fight there and rightly pointed out what cost me, which was losing my length on a particular mark late in the game.
Meanwhile the chuckle brothers of Iddon and Topp did manage to remark that I played well at least. After a thoroughly enjoyable and absorbing couple of matches tonight, my cake already had a cherry on top, but I must admit that to prove those two negative doubters wrong was an extra little dusting of icing sugar.
No comments:
Post a Comment