Blog Archive

04/05/2022

ANOTHER WIN ON THE ROAD

2/5/22
Chorley & District League Div-3: Chorley St Joseph's 'B' 110-144 Eagle & Child 'A'
v DARREN HENDY 21-12

I wasn't really expecting to play in this opening Chorley league fixture at St Joseph's, but I lived in hope. Without a final team sheet displayed in the clubhouse window the previous day, captain Steve Margy left me hanging to the last minute - just as he did in our final fixture at Victoria last year. I don't know if it's intentional, but to a keen upstart like myself it's a tense waiting experience.
Whilst I would be extra disappointed if I actually didn't get a game following these uncertain circumstances, the suspense heightens the joy when actually selected.
During practice I totted up at least four absent players from Steve's newly enhanced squad list and thought I might be in with a shout, but to assume I'd nevertheless be left on the sidelines.
Then just minutes before the match starts, I get the nod... "Areet John? £1.50?"... I'm in!... and no sooner had I put my wallet away... I'm on!
Darren Hendy is waiting for me and he's convinced we'd played before. Little does he know that I have documented all my games in this needlessly detailed fashion and could absolutely assure that him we hadn't. I think I was a scorer in one of his games last season though. We agreed on both remembering each other's faces.
Darren started the game quite well, whereas I wasn't finding my length. Trailing 1-6, agitation was just starting to rear it's ugly head when a quote from Mike Read's Frank Butcher character of vintage Eastenders years rang in my ears... "Av a lit'le word wiv yourself". And I did. I told myself I can play better than this and to keep my concentration and try my best. The old landlord of the Queen Vic would have nodded his approval as I squeezed back in to it with some very tightly contested ends to lead 7-6 and then grew in confidence.
A succession of good lead bowls and quite a few satisfying close seconds put Darren under the cosh a bit and I managed to pull away for another win on the road which contributed to a good team win to start the new campaign.
Unchartered territory, doubling my away win count from last season in just four days. Onwards and hopefully upwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment