A FLATTERING BATTERING
5/5/22Leyland & District League Div-4: Eagle & Child Reds 169-164 Hoole Village Hall
v MIKE SLINGER W 21-8
This was a strange match, in that I don't believe I was a particularly better player than my opponent on the night. The scoreboard however, suggests otherwise and that this win was won handsomely.
For reasons unknown to middle aged man, I had been drowning in to a progressively tired state all week. I certainly hadn't got the energy levels to run, work days felt much harder than usual and by the time Thursday evening came around I could easily have nestled down for a nod than find a second wind to rush down to the Eagle for a bowls match. I could tell during practice that concentration was going to be a challenge.
Mike started off with a selection of very good woods and built an early lead. At this point it appeared I was in for a difficult match and was trying really hard to fully focus my attention.
I managed to pull back level and it was during a spell where we both started losing our length that I seemed to be the lucky one to win a few measures and pick up some cheap twos. By the time we both started rolling some more respectable bowls again, I had a decent lead and played two or three big shots at key moments to cancel out Mike's push for a comeback.
The scoreline was very flattering, but winning games like this when not quite on it has got to be a good sign. Again, it's one that might have got away from me this time last year.
For our team, a first victory of the season and whilst narrow, against a side that drew with probable promotion candidates Farington St Paul's.
I can't afford to feel jaded next week though. If selected on Monday, a guaranteed tough game versus top team Farington Cons. Then on Wednesday, our club's Members League starts with Andy Sexton as my opening fixture. An opportunity to give him a better game after he pulverised me in last year's President's Cup final. Thursday night away to New Longton, Saturday to the regional qualifying rounds of the Hugh Hornby Merit Trophy at Lea.
My other half claims to be a bowling widow this time of year and it's normally a tongue-in-cheek thing, but next week it would seem I really will be seeing more of my woods than my wife.
I managed to pull back level and it was during a spell where we both started losing our length that I seemed to be the lucky one to win a few measures and pick up some cheap twos. By the time we both started rolling some more respectable bowls again, I had a decent lead and played two or three big shots at key moments to cancel out Mike's push for a comeback.
The scoreline was very flattering, but winning games like this when not quite on it has got to be a good sign. Again, it's one that might have got away from me this time last year.
For our team, a first victory of the season and whilst narrow, against a side that drew with probable promotion candidates Farington St Paul's.
I can't afford to feel jaded next week though. If selected on Monday, a guaranteed tough game versus top team Farington Cons. Then on Wednesday, our club's Members League starts with Andy Sexton as my opening fixture. An opportunity to give him a better game after he pulverised me in last year's President's Cup final. Thursday night away to New Longton, Saturday to the regional qualifying rounds of the Hugh Hornby Merit Trophy at Lea.
My other half claims to be a bowling widow this time of year and it's normally a tongue-in-cheek thing, but next week it would seem I really will be seeing more of my woods than my wife.
No comments:
Post a Comment