QUITE A COMEBACK
9/5/22Chorley & District League Div-3: Eagle & Child 'A ' 155-137 Farington Cons 'A'
v JEAN PRIVETT W 21-17
Coming back after going behind has become something of a trait in recent weeks. But this one will live with me for quite a while I think.
I was on the rack trailing 6-16, literally thinking about nothing other than how I might find a way to scratch double figures for the team at least, as Jean edged closer to a seemingly convincing win.
The experienced former Leyland Motors bowler was murdering me with short, straight peggers just over the crown. Consistently near the jack, rarely just behind or to the side - but shielding it from the front - leaving me with restricted options and very difficult ones at that. Jean had a couple of lucky knocks her way too, just to pile on the misery.
A better bowler than me would have found a way out, but Jean had me at her mercy and she knew it. Whenever I did briefly get the jack back earlier on, places to go that I felt might switch on some confidence seemed limited by the proceedings of other matches.
There was a lot of head shaking going on and composure was leaking quickly, but I really appreciated our captain Steve Marginson's continuous encouragement, saying, "It'll come John, keep plugging away", but I'd started to think my opponent was too tough of a nut to crack.
The intensity of Jean's grip on the game did start to slowly loosen though.
At last an opportunity came to send the jack somewhere different and as long as I could, to a corner - too far really - precariously near the ditch. My two bowls were off course but made the trip, thanks to a fortuitous connection from my over-shot second bowl. I was due a bit of luck though.
I then sent the yellow target bowl towards the vistors end and despite getting on a good road, I overran both deliveries, leaving fairly easy pickings for Jean to adjust and take the single. I think it was 8-17 at this point.
But then, the beginning of Jean's very unlikely undoing was when she sent us round peg off a ridge from the centre of the green I know quite well and where I had earlier made rare success with a closely knitted two. Jean uncharacteristically faultered and I mopped up another decent double.
So, back to that corner again, the déjà vu completed with two more disappointingly loose cannons, but good enough weight again to count.
The real turning point came here as our skipper Steve called across that my favourite mark is on. (He knows what I like, I used it against him in a practice game a few weeks ago) I'd been a bit unlucky that it hadn't become available earlier.
And then... I started playing some bowls.
Confidence soared through my previously defeatist veins and six ends later, I'd won it. I had to pinch myself.
Excellent captaincy from Steve this evening, although I should grant myself a little credit too. Perhaps down to lack of confidence and subsequent paranoia, I've been a little unsure of where I stand with my Monday captain at times. Being on the same page doesn't feel so far away now.
On an evening of some excellent bowling matches all round, I was chuffed to see Steve win the final match on the card to garnish a brilliant home win against our illustrious local rivals, who don't lose many.
No comments:
Post a Comment