Blog Archive

12/05/2022

VERY GOOD WIN... JUST

11/5/22
Eagle Members League Div-1
v ANDY SEXTON W 21-20 (Off 3-3)

The Eagle & Child's innovative and enthusiastic organiser in chief of competitions and events, Steve Wilson, has devised a Members League this year to keep us on our toes.
Personally, I think it's a cracking idea.  Benefits for both the club and players on many levels, Steve has thought it through to the last detail and on Wednesday night, he delivered.
I rolled the very first jack of this new competition (I seem to have a habit of winning the toss and doing so) and faced the first of a programme of twelve tough matches in the top division against Andy Sexton.
We have a bit of history after Andy thrashed me in last Summer's President's Cup final. I went in to this match confident of giving him a better game than that day. On current form, I felt I had a right to believe that if I could play well enough, then I had a chance.
It turned out to be a very tight game. I'm not sure if Andy was feeling the tension, but I certainly was. Probably because I had dared to believe.
For once, I didn't start on the back foot and in fact nudged ahead from the off, building up to a lead of 12-8 at one point. But Andy turned the screw midway through proceedings and was bowling consistently tight to turn things around to 14-16 in his favour. I then managed to grasp back some momentum and win a few ends back to regain the lead in the closing stages. 
An unfortunate strike from Andy took his own bowl out and that two took me to 19-17.
I sent a decent lead on the next end, but was pretty furious with myself at sending the second bowl short. I was lucky Andy didn't steal in as his own second effort reared up when another two inches would have taken it.
Now all-but and with a half decent lead bowl sent, still room for Andy to get even nearer and he did. I'm annoyed again as I send my second bowl unforgivably short.
He then takes a good two off the side of the crown and it's all down to the last end.
Andy goes long from corner to corner towards the entrance. I crouch down to get a proper look. I'm surprised he sends his first a bit short and a little narrow. I realise this is it. I'd decided on my line, found it and made sure I put enough in to it. It was a very good bowl from there and landed quite close. Andy will have been very disappounted with his second as it bared even further left and that was it. Another win, a very good win against this chap too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment