FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT AGAINST A LEFTY!
19/5/22Chorley & District League Div-3: Eagle & Child 'A' 168-109 St Marie's 'A'
v JOHN FOWLER JNR W 21-10
For a third successive match I faced a left-hander and finally put to bed my 0% win rate against bowlers from 'the other side'.
It's been coming - I seemed to find a way to play against them last week and have since shook off that lefty fear factor.
My opponent John was no pushover, but I got off to a very good start. With the exception of a few lapsed ends, I maintained the standard to win by what nevertheless felt a slightly flattering margin in the end.
John particularly had success when straight pegging long to the corners, but generally I had the upper hand on the shorter round peg marks, despite John's striking abilty which caused disruption a couple of times.
It would be ignorant I feel, to dismiss and avoid the subject of my opponent's challenges with cerebral palsy. But John's bowling abilty was in no way compromised. He's a good player and, as he told me afterwards, has been in the game since he was a lad and proudly represented England on the indoor circuit. More than that though, his excellent sportsmanship and lively personality on the green make him one of the most genuinely pleasant chaps I've had the pleasure of playing against.
There's always one or two poker faced miseries who take themselves way too seriously at this level. They could learn a few things from John Fowler Jnr.
The whole St Marie's team were a really pleasant bunch all in all and this, despite them going down to a heavy team defeat on the night as a full house of individual victories ensured we strengthened our place at the top of Division Three.
No comments:
Post a Comment