Blog Archive

11/07/2022

NICE TO WIN WITHOUT ALL THE DRAMA

7/7/22
Leyland & District League Div-4: Longton VM 'B' 197-149 Eagle Reds
 v PETER IDDON W 21-12

Win or lose, tough, closely contested matches have been the theme of late and whilst more seasoned bowlers might be amused at the intensity I experience during these minor local league bouts, I am what I am.
Despite the surge in blood pressure levels, intensity is my kind of perverse pleasure out there on the green.
That said, it was especially nice to go away from home and piece together a win without all the bum-clenching drama of recent games.
It could easily have been a much closer game, Peter was no mug and anything less than a good performance here would not have been good enough to get in to a winning position.
Sometimes you get a feel for a first visit on a green and sometimes you don't. Although I wasn't endeared by some of the bumpy areas on Longton's turf, the range of mini-crowns that made up the main crown was good fun to roll on. I'm sure this green would be a real handful when it's parched and running quicker, but I seemed to get a grip fairly quickly on this particular evening and when I did get it wrong, my adjustments were good and I didn't let the home bowler get in to a rhythm. It was nip and tuck for a while but I managed to slowly pull away and when "nineteen" was called, did what I had to do on the next two ends and avoided yet another nail-biting finale.
Although ribbing my one-wood wonders half way through the match saying, "Imagine what you could do with two woods?! ", our captain Harry Glynn said "Well played" (again) as I sealed the win. It's a big thing, he doesn't compliment easy. I don't need babying with hugs and pats on the back, but it's good to get feedback, commendable or critical and especially off those with great knowledge of the game.
That said, perhaps Harry was extra pleased and relieved because I was our first and eventually only winner on the night as the team went down to a rough defeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment