Blog Archive

19/07/2022

TOPP WIN TO FINISH WEEK ON A HIGH

14/7/22
Leyland & District League Div-4: Eagle Reds 156-187 Farington Social
v KEVIN TOPP W 21-12

A fourth night on the trot at the Eagle green simply had to finish with a win to balance the week's books after defeats on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Farington Social were the visitors and oddly for a second time this week, I faced the same player as I did in the corresponding fixture last year.
Their captain Kevin Topp was too good for me a year ago, but I put that, and the previous night's below par performance behind me to play much better and give him a tough game.
Analysing my performances as I do, I decided to concentrate on my front foot placement this evening. Without going in to needlessly dire detail about it, this was the latest component I felt I'd let slip... whilst concentrating on other things to get right! These tweaks are especially problematic when the greens are running very quick.
The saga continues to find a consistent delivery style. I know what I need to do, but in the heat of matches some bits often go out of the window.
My adjustment seemed to help against Kevin and I was getting a good length again and more importantly, feeling more in control of my bowls.
I got off to a good start to go 4-0 off the first four ends, but Kev got back to 6-5 before I went on another break and led 14-6 I think. Once again Kev came back and this time started hitting some very good leads which had me chasing for a while. The tide looked to be turning when my lead was shrunk to 14-12 and requiring a good long one to save the next end, but as my opponent informed me upon arrival at the scene, my trickling wood nestled on to a crack in the turf and toppled over to count. These are the crazy intricacies of crown green that can turn a match when the green is so dry.
I didn't look back from then, keeping hold of the jack and seeing the game out.
I remember noting Kev coming across as a bit cocky in our match last year. But he was very gracious in defeat and I'd already warmed to him a little more since then.
That was four nights of consecutive matches for myself before another week out on holidays. Facing the probability of losing my place in the league teams, next up most likely is another crack at Fleetwood and the Autumn Waterloo qualifiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment