FUNNY OLD GAME
11/8/22Leyland & District League Div-4: Eagle Reds 193-141 Wymott
v KRISTIAN JOYNES W 21-2
I've seen Kristian play a few times now. Not a bad player on home soil. He can be a bit loud and rather distracting, but without malice I think. I must admit though, if the game had been close I'd have been asking him politely to bloody well stop chatting whilst I'm delivering my bowls!
A running commentary of the previous end would ramble on in to the next end and, more often than not, the tale would surmise about his own rotten luck.
It wasn't all Kristian's bad fortune that swayed this game though. He didn't get to grips with our fast running green and his frequent tactic of trying to run through with the jack came close a few times, but quickly totted up credit to my score sheet.
I'd sent maybe only four or five bowls that I was personally content with and yet was only just getting going when I heard the scores sounded at 16-2! This really was a funny old game.
I saw the game out with some much better woods, although Kristian landed a cracking strike to null what looked like my winning end. (He rightfully enjoyed that one!) But I put two more decent ones up and this time he struck wide.
I'd rushed there after work, was tenth match on so waited nearly two hours to play and was expecting a better game than this from Kristian. But such personal anti-climax aside, most importantly it was one of eight wins from our team as the Thursday night chaps pulled one out of the bag against rivals in the bottom three to eliminate any fears of propping up the table with one match remaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment