THIS SEASON JUST GETS BETTER
4/8/22Leyland & District League Div-4: Hoole Village Hall 'A' 195-164 Eagle Reds
v GILL JOHNSTON W 21-10
After lecturing myself about the importance of really believing since Monday night's encounter, I was chuffed with the manner of this latest away victory.
Gill's a good player and a year ago she might well have murdered me here, but even during an earlier period of the match where she was in control, I kept the pressure on and eventually squeezed her out of contention.
The match started by getting the second biggest* laugh of the night as I sent my bowl first, instead of the jack! Not my finest moment. Having travelled to Hoole on vapour, I was on the mat still wittering with some chaps on the greenside about the opening hours of nearby Suther's Garage.
Concentration loss ended there though. I was on it and built up a 6-0 lead until Gill broke in and went on to win the next seven ends. This was a very good game shaping up, but unphased by her good lead bowls, I limited her to singles and made Gill work very hard to edge in to that lead. I didn't fluster, firmly believing I'd get in again soon and when I did at 6-7, went on my biggest break yet that took me up to 19 and then all-but.
I was playing well and whilst Gill wasn't far off the mark and unlucky a couple times when finding a gap despite contact looking more likely, I was feeling the lovely green surface of Hoole as if it was my own.
With a point required, Gill got back in and she held the block for three more ends until I landed another close one to win it.
With a point required, Gill got back in and she held the block for three more ends until I landed another close one to win it.
Gill seemed a bit perplexed at having played well and got nowt much in return. But I was flying in this match and on the matter of belief, this performance reiterated my quiet feeling that there is still more improvement to come. If I can play like this consistently, then I should become much more of a pain in the arse to play against at this level of bowling.
A third away win in succession, four wins on the spin in the Leyland league, three on the trot in the Chorley league, 15 wins from the last 22 in all competitions... widen the doors please, big head alert.
A third away win in succession, four wins on the spin in the Leyland league, three on the trot in the Chorley league, 15 wins from the last 22 in all competitions... widen the doors please, big head alert.
The season could end now and I'd be a happy bunny, but there's still a few league matches and three or four tournaments to contest in which to try and push on further.
*The biggest laugh of the evening came when Paul Briggs landed a very nice two in front of our visitors end. Briggsy was getting stick, our lot asking him if he knew what to do and if he had ever signalled with two raised arms before. "Aye, they're normally dahn theer", he concedes. 😄
Ok, so you had to be there...
No comments:
Post a Comment