ONE LAST PUSH FOR A TOP FIVE SPOT
7/9/22Eagle Members Leagues: Div-1
v COLIN PROCTOR W 21-17 (Off 3-3)
Harry D & Tez might sound like a retro DJ combo and in the unlikely event of these two spinning the decks at the next club do, if they perform as well as they did pushing squeegees on the bowling green, there would be few complaints.
On arrival for the final Members League match of the season, the pair were putting their backs in to removing as much surface water as possible.
Despite plenty of welcome wetness of late, our green still wasn't ready to soak up a prolonged thunder shower that delayed the evening's start of play.
By the time Colin and I got going, most of the rainfall had just about penetrated, but it was still a push to send your bowls and early on I repeatedly got caught short.
Colin picked it up straight away and won the first four or five ends to take a six point lead. When I finally did send a length that beat Col's holding two, I tapped the jack which then took it's time to wobble in to the ditch.
I was beginning to think this just wasn't my night, but trying to be this new me that keeps his cool, I could only see the funny side and shrug my shoulders.
That void end did serve to break up Colin's dominance though and the next few exchanges went either way before I notched a very important three two's in a row. Definitely a game still on now at 12-13.
Colin pushed harder though and was first to fifteen, but I went on a good run again to come back and lead 17-15. Lying two more with one next to the jack, Col produced a brilliantly controlled strike to push the jack through for two of his own to level the scores again.
Colin then leads down to the right of the clubhouse with a perfect toucher and whilst my first bowl was good enough to save one, his well placed second bowl as back-up meant I had to kill the end and I struck sweetly to cannon his bowl on to the jack and rattle it in to the gutter.
There's something satisfyingly about striking, the clattering sound of woods, the clunk in to the ditch, the sense of mischief when you're eyeing it up... but the opportunity to undo your opponent's good work for your own gain makes for a sort of cheeky confidence boost during match. Whilst I seem to hit more than I miss, I may as well continue to have a crack when it's the best option.
There was no other option here against Colin, but it came off and I went on to take the next three ends and seal the win. Another tough match that I managed to get the right side of in this Members League and enough to seal a top five spot.
When I asked to be placed in Division One, I was hoping to run some good players close and maybe win a couple. I can't quite believe I've picked up eight wins from twelve, or some of the guys I've managed to beat along the way.
There seems to be a slight uncertainty whether or not our Eagle Members League continues next Summer in an already hectic bowling calendar, but it's definitely served me well this year and these tough matches have contributed to my development as a better player this year.
When I asked to be placed in Division One, I was hoping to run some good players close and maybe win a couple. I can't quite believe I've picked up eight wins from twelve, or some of the guys I've managed to beat along the way.
There seems to be a slight uncertainty whether or not our Eagle Members League continues next Summer in an already hectic bowling calendar, but it's definitely served me well this year and these tough matches have contributed to my development as a better player this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment