HOME FORM STILL RELIABLE
Thursday 11th May 2023Leyland & District League Div-3: Eagle Reds - Hoole Village Hall 'A'
v CHRIS COXHEAD W 21-12
The now regular slot of playing last on the bill at number ten has taught me to expect nothing less than a tough match against my opposite number on a Thursday night.
This one could have been a lot tougher if my opponent hadn't taken a while to get going. I did start the match very well though and an early lead of 7-0 wasn't one of flattery, despite a knock or two also going my way.
This early domination broke though and a period of rolling up short brought about a bit of frustration which then seemed to affect everything for an end or two, although I did enough to limit Chris to mainly one's. The odd spark of the way I started the match returned often enough to sustain my lead as I later heard 15-9 called.
I had a little word with myself at this point (literally, as Chris thought I'd just said something to him) and order was restored as I saw the match out getting back to a run of more consistent woods.
At nineteen I mistakenly sent the jack to the green's sloping edges. Holding one, but not safely in my opinion, I turned over peg with my second delivery and with a little too much vigour, tapping the target as it arrived but just about keeping it in play. Malcolm Jones, as ever at greenside these days with good information for me, says, "You do like to do things the hard way, Sutty."
Chris surprisingly rolls his second wood short and the risk paid off. It's always good to win on home turf. I've got a decent record overall on the Eagle green and whilst by no means a fortress, a place where I can grind out wins even when my form and confidence doesn't feel great.
It most be said, Chris was an honourable opponent, a nice chap with good manners and it was good to be part of a match again that was played in the spirit it ought to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment