SUB-STANDARD
Sunday 14th May 2023CHORLEY SUBS OPEN
At Chorley Subscription Club
First Round
v JOHN PHILLIPS L 9-21
Some underlying virus seemed to be slowly suckling the life out of me leading up to my latest ill-fated competition appearance.
The whole morning felt like a blur. I wasn't particularly excited about the prospect of bowling that morning and in fact could have done without it.
No excuse though for poor shot choices and idiotic, repetitive mistakes. Just not enough fight in me to try and make things happen either. This was a meek defeat lost over mainly short marks that I should have had the conviction to attack with some venom.
No disrespect to my Salopian opponent though, who now plays his bowls in the East Lancs leagues. Similarly a debutant on this green, John grew in strength and by the end of the match had made the gulf in class between us quite clear.
I got off to a solid start though, going three ahead until the tide began to turn with the bulk of John's scoring coming from an annoying diagonal straight peg mark in front of the clubhouse. Bowling out, a little bump I just couldn't negotiate, mainly rolling short to but pegging away if I landed on it. Bowling back in, slightly downhill and just not getting a length there until finally a good one landed to save the match.
Salvaging a few more ends from there, a tidy two over at the opposite side looked on and a venture in to double figures, but John landed a perfect winner, good enough to win any game as I pointed out to him as we shook hands.
Naff day at the bowling office, didn't play well but I felt that at least this was an environment in which failure wasn't smirked at. Owen Jackson would have been belly-rolling with laughter at this one.
First Round
v JOHN PHILLIPS L 9-21
Some underlying virus seemed to be slowly suckling the life out of me leading up to my latest ill-fated competition appearance.
The whole morning felt like a blur. I wasn't particularly excited about the prospect of bowling that morning and in fact could have done without it.
No excuse though for poor shot choices and idiotic, repetitive mistakes. Just not enough fight in me to try and make things happen either. This was a meek defeat lost over mainly short marks that I should have had the conviction to attack with some venom.
No disrespect to my Salopian opponent though, who now plays his bowls in the East Lancs leagues. Similarly a debutant on this green, John grew in strength and by the end of the match had made the gulf in class between us quite clear.
I got off to a solid start though, going three ahead until the tide began to turn with the bulk of John's scoring coming from an annoying diagonal straight peg mark in front of the clubhouse. Bowling out, a little bump I just couldn't negotiate, mainly rolling short to but pegging away if I landed on it. Bowling back in, slightly downhill and just not getting a length there until finally a good one landed to save the match.
Salvaging a few more ends from there, a tidy two over at the opposite side looked on and a venture in to double figures, but John landed a perfect winner, good enough to win any game as I pointed out to him as we shook hands.
Naff day at the bowling office, didn't play well but I felt that at least this was an environment in which failure wasn't smirked at. Owen Jackson would have been belly-rolling with laughter at this one.
But the Open's organiser, Phil Goodman, was welcoming and appreciative of me having a go. Thankfully, not so much obsessed about my weak CV and short history of competition bowling.
Chorley Subs has a cracking little set up there and although finding their green a bit of a frustrating challenge, would have a go at future competitions there I think.
Bowling and running have simultaneously gone off the boil this last week.
Not feeling well enough to run and, with one thing or another, for the first time feeling I've lost a bit of love and drive for the game of crown green bowls.
Having lost my place in this Monday's team and with no fixture Thursday, an opportunity to step away and see how much I miss it.
Chorley Subs has a cracking little set up there and although finding their green a bit of a frustrating challenge, would have a go at future competitions there I think.
Bowling and running have simultaneously gone off the boil this last week.
Not feeling well enough to run and, with one thing or another, for the first time feeling I've lost a bit of love and drive for the game of crown green bowls.
Having lost my place in this Monday's team and with no fixture Thursday, an opportunity to step away and see how much I miss it.
No comments:
Post a Comment