HOWARD'S WAY (JUST)
Thursday 22nd June 2023Leyland & District League Div-3:
Hoole Village Hall 'B' - Eagle Reds
v LUKE HOWARD L 18-21
"You like playing good players and this lad's a good player", says captain Harry Glynn who also remembered Luke's grandfather, Maurice, as a fine crown green bowler.
In the return fixture from last week as the Leyland league hit the half way mark, strangely, whoever I played, I was more confident of playing better on this well watered surface of greenery at Hoole than I was on our tricky running home green.
I saw a bit of young Luke playing last week at our place and knew anything less than maintaining good form of late would result in a drubbing.
A good start was vitally important and I did start well, yet still ended up trailing 2-8 without rolling anything less than very reasonable. Luke's lead bowls were excellent and took some shifting, but once again I surprised myself by keeping my head in the right place and plugged away at trying to break him. When the opportunity came, round peg marks against my opponent's continued straight marks got me in to the match and at 11-16 I had at least slowed the deficit and made an impact in the game.
Confidence grew and I was landing some very good woods to keep myself in the game, rolling up to 17-18 and a real chance at that point. But a couple of below average woods let Luke in for an easy two at a critical time. Next end I sent perfect weight with my second bowl to save the match and squeeze back in to 18-20. After indecision where to go next with the whole green at my mercy, and nowhere from this particular spot I remember having success with, I round pegged in front of the visitors end and a poor lead falls disappointingly short. I should've just chucked it long to a corner and been a bit more brave. Luke punishes me by responding with a fine bowl just inches away. After some debate whether to strike or draw, I decided to try and draw the perfect bowl but just ran through a touch and that's game. Luke can pick up the mat and it's another tight away game that just got away from me.
The damage was done early on. Aside from a bit of luck not going my way, I genuinely did everything I could. It was a good game and Luke played very well throughout.
THREE WEEKS AND COUNTING ON THE SIDELINES
It's a good job the bowling form is gaining momentum because it's difficult to gauge when the running shoes are to be slipped back on. The offending knee feels rested enough, but just lately a general tiredness and lethargy has descended and just surviving a day on my feet at work seems exhausting, never mind running there and back as well. What's happened?
Hot weather and poor sleep? Doing too much and not stopping enough? Another round of what's left of coronavirus perhaps? I don't know. But day in, day out, I never feel recovered just now. I can see three weeks out extending to at least a month and then it's a long way back again. To think just two months ago I felt good enough to turn up at a race.
No comments:
Post a Comment