Blog Archive

15/04/2024

FLATTERING WIN CAN'T PAPER CRACKS

Thursday 11th April 2024
Leyland & District League Div-3: Eagle Reds - Farington & District
v JIM FINCH W 21-7

Despite another faultering home show, a very, very flattering win. I didn't send a single lead bowl that I was properly happy with and never settled down in to any sort of rhythm as our Eagle green once again got inside my head and left me scratching it at times.
With all due respects to my opponent Jim, out of a very strong Farington team at this level, he was probably an easier game than most of the others on the night. On this form, there's no doubt I would have got a spanking from most of their remaining line-up.
I'm pretty sure Jim's had better days as he was just as inconsistent as me. The difference on the night was that I stuck a decent second bowl up enough times to turn a game that was tight in the early stages at 8-5. It didn't feel like a well earned comprehensive victory and it certainly wasn't.
Whatever it was, it was one for the team though in a tough match against probable promotion material. Steve Loynd grabbed our other win and a well earned one versus John Steele.
Following this game, our captain Harry Glynn said I was playing better in my first season than the start of this, my fourth one. Even if that was a nod towards the fact I was playing more instinctively and with more freedom back then, Harry's observation was a tough one to consume.
Basically, I think I'm putting too much pressure on myself. I've earmarked this as a season to really improve and perhaps I should've buried that thought deeply and set our to just think humble but play hard.
Next up, and ridiculously, given my current form and fragile state of bowling mind... the small matter of Fleetwood Waterloo qualifiers (seemed like a good idea to enter at the time)
I don't see the point in cancelling. I've got some experience there now and enough to go with a clean slate intent on giving somebody a decent game. I need a shot of confidence and hopefully I can rise to the occasion and find a bit, then chill the bloody hell out and turn it in to some much better league form!

No comments:

Post a Comment