Blog Archive

09/04/2024

LESS OF A FOOL AT HOOLE

Thursday 4th April 2024
Leyland & District League Div-3: Hoole Village Hall 'B' - Eagle Reds
v MIKE HENLEY W 21-11

I was ready to pack my bowls away and forget where I'd put them. If I didn't play well tonight, no tantrums, just a quiet word with captain Harry to tell him I need a time out (even though the season has only just started!) It would be relatively free of guilt, for he's got new recruits this season and so it's not as if I'm going to leave the team short.
Any sort of repeat performance from Tuesday would have been punished by veteran left handed bowler Mike on his home turf, but I managed to get my act together as the rain began to pour heavily on Hoole's lush as ever turf.
I wouldn't say I played with a carefree attitude - I wanted to play well and of course I wanted to win - but the general apathy I felt after foolishly losing the plot two nights earlier helped me relax, concentrate on the basics and in the end I didn't send many woods worth cursing.
I got off to a good start but Mike produced some great shots to keep himself in it and at 15-10, although I felt I might have the upper hand, I sent my opponent longer than he liked to go and put up good woods to take two good two's and speed myself towards the finishing line.
Although there wasn't much grace in my winning bowl - a good length sent but around eighteen inches wide of the target and only counting after a tight measure - I was in a happy bowling place again and my fickle relationship with the game was favourably rekindled, not least because I simply played reasonably well.
A loss for our team on the night, but three points picked up against a good Hoole team. Briggsy and Banksy were our other two winners, the former playing as well as I've seen him play, the latter with an excellent comeback. 

No comments:

Post a Comment