Thursday 2nd May 2024
Leyland & District League Div-3: Eagle Reds - New Longton 'B'
v DAVID DAWSON W 21-13
David put the pressure on from the off with good lead bowling and I had to stick in there with him in the early stages, make sure I got up and at least snuffle his chances to get two.
Once I broke his initial run, there wasn't much in it for a while until I got on the mark that served me well the previous evening. I was playing it even tighter tonight and a couple of spells on there, assisted by a couple of near misses from David's strikes, turned an early deficit in to a healthier lead than I thought once I'd got to nineteen. It had been a close fought match, but I was playing well again and getting the scores when they really mattered. I'm starting to take control rather than losing it!
It turned out I needed to win by six for our Eagle Reds to take the match on chalks and unknowingly at the time, succeeded to make it three wins in a row for us.
Last on the green like last night, match finishing at 9:50, bedtime on a Thursday ideally 10:00, led there with bowls whizzing around in my head until after 11... the bowling season is back in full swing.
Form has returned too. Five wins from five matches in the Leyland league places me second in the merit table of averages, behind my best pal Lee Dalton of all players, the Vernons player sits top by just six chalks.
This novelty might never happen again that we are the top two and it's a source of amusement, for we both agree that divisional merit means nothing outside the top division, and even less after just five games.
By the end of a twenty-two game season, sure enough the top twenty or thirty will be some of the best players in the division, but even that can't necessarily determine a true reflection of ranking. Some games are much tougher than others at this level and it can be the luck of the draw how that pans out.
We're not interested in the folly of the merit table, but equally we'd like to stay up there as long as possible to piss off those who will be chasing it! Notably, one or two players who should and could be bowling at a higher standard, but perhaps seek a more likely scenario of victory being more important than a truly challenging match and season.
Form has returned too. Five wins from five matches in the Leyland league places me second in the merit table of averages, behind my best pal Lee Dalton of all players, the Vernons player sits top by just six chalks.
This novelty might never happen again that we are the top two and it's a source of amusement, for we both agree that divisional merit means nothing outside the top division, and even less after just five games.
By the end of a twenty-two game season, sure enough the top twenty or thirty will be some of the best players in the division, but even that can't necessarily determine a true reflection of ranking. Some games are much tougher than others at this level and it can be the luck of the draw how that pans out.
We're not interested in the folly of the merit table, but equally we'd like to stay up there as long as possible to piss off those who will be chasing it! Notably, one or two players who should and could be bowling at a higher standard, but perhaps seek a more likely scenario of victory being more important than a truly challenging match and season.
No comments:
Post a Comment