Blog Archive

07/05/2024

HOME TURF TAMED

Wednesday 1st May 2024
LEYLAND & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-3: Eagle Reds - Hoole Village Hall 'A'
v KEITH ROUGHLEY W 21-12

Two more home games in successive evenings started with this rearranged fixture after postponement two weeks ago and prompted a concerted effort to get to grips with the problems of home turf.
Having played against Keith in my first season, I had an idea of what I was up against and his subsequent improvement, noted a couple of weeks ago by his recent away win against Farington's Roger Iddon as a reminder to take nothing for granted.
Keith started well, but me too. There was no chance of going twelve behind like two nights ago.
The game began to swing my way when I got a round peg mark going quite well and although frustrated when sometimes short with my second bowl, the lead bowl was good and that's a part of my game that needed to, and now is, getting better.
The Hoole player came back with a few good ends but couldn't get a run together himself and once back on the patch that I built a lead, saw the game out and finished it with a well placed two.
Some proper concentration and emersion in to the game helped me overcome recent psychological home green issues and I found myself looking forward to another game tomorrow night, rather than worrying about it.
Best of all, another win for the team and two on the bounce. Not unprecedented with this team, but rare. Under the vice-captainship of Steve Loynd with Harry away for a week, Steve's iron fist demand for victory was met and he was expecting nowt less than another one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment