Monday 24th June 2024
CHORLEY & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIV-2:
Eagle & Child 'A' 132-155 Black Horse v DENNIS NORRIS L 16-21
It soon became clear my opponent Dennis was going to be tough nut to crack and the last thing you need when up against a better player is bad fortune.
Knocking the jack up to him twice in the first three ends was just the sort of generosity he didn't need.
That said, I had a good spell to come back and lead 7-5 but inconsistency let me down this evening. My lead bowls switched from devine to dreadful and I just couldn't keep the block for more than an end.
Dennis punished even the slightest mistakes and kept nudging further ahead as we went in to double figures. Another couple of unfortunate clips of the jack went against me too.
At 14-20 I played a brilliant end to take two and give myself a fighting chance, but then sent a terrible lead next end. Dennis sends a good lengthed bowl difficult to beat. I'm on the perfect road but frustratingly short and it's a third home defeat in four Chorley league matches at the Eagle. A fortress no longer.
I played very well in parts against the Black Horse man, but it required more than that to get this chap on the back foot. He adapted very well to our still changeable green conditions. A bit of homework afterwards reveals Dennis, nice chap as well as a good bowler, doesn't lose many in any of the leagues he plays in.
It was a good show all round from the visitors, a good side who won five from eight to sit level on points with league leaders Bretherton.
No comments:
Post a Comment